1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Which tortoise do I have?

Discussion in 'Greek tortoises' started by Law, Jul 3, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Law

Law Member

Location (City and/or State):
    London
    Thank you for the welcome.

I’ve been asked to ‘look after’ him for a ‘few months’. Then handed a tortoise, nothing else, told to feed him iceberg and tomatoes!

I have seen him at persons house previously, I know nothing about tortoises! However he seemed neglected (no water in enclosure, fed some left over salad, birds stealing his food, he seemed depressed, tiny enclosure, never active etc.)

I commented that if person wanted to rehome., I would love to have him. Few weeks later I was handed him for a ‘few months’

Having now read the info on here, I would love to build him a more suitable home (already ordered seeds to grow!) I’ve only had him 2 days, he loves to dig, eat dandelions and explore the garden!

He has such a sad back story, found down an alley over 30 years ago. Owner who found him, passing away and being passed on, then to me. He is an old boy, at least 50+ I would like to make his retirement years secure and happy!
    Bigred1974 and Cathie G like this.
  2. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    I think you probably already got addicted hehehe...and your little friend found a happy home.
    Yellowwubiedog likes this.
  3. Philip Rome

Philip Rome Member

Hampshire
    How do you know how old it is from the photo?
    Just wondering as I took on a rescue Greek, and was told it’s about 20. Vet say may well be a lot older! IMG_7212.jpg
    g4mobile and Cathie G like this.
  4. Law

Law Member

London
    Max Yours seems more vibrant in colour? My old boy seems faded?

Cathie I am a sucker for a sad story and any animal! It has made me happy, seeing him transform from not eating, not being active etc. To stuffing his face, digging, and literally sprinting around the garden and being enthusiastic about his environment!
    Maro2Bear and Cathie G like this.
  5. Law

Law Member

London
    He actually doesn’t like a Greek, from my very recent, very limited google knowledge!!!
    Cathie G likes this.
  6. kazjimmy

kazjimmy Active Member

baldwin park
    Take more pictures and the back leg. If there is a Spurs then it’s a Greek. If no then it’s a Herman.
    Cathie G likes this.
  7. Philip Rome

Philip Rome Member

Hampshire
    It definitely is a Greek. Spurs on back ......... it’s a minefield...... I look at the torts on here and have no idea!
    Cathie G likes this.
  8. Law

Law Member

London
    I think this is a spur?

Attached Files:

Sue Ann and Cathie G like this.
  9. SweetGreekTorts

SweetGreekTorts Well-Known Member

Tucson, AZ
    Not entirely accurate. The Western Hermann's from Madonie (Sicily) Italy locale actually does have spurs on its thighs. And the Testudo graeca soussensis (Southern Moroccan Greek) does not have thigh spurs.

But the plastron of the Greek is always very different from the Hermann's. Greeks have random black markings, and Hermann's have two solid black bands. That's how I help confirm the species identity.
    Cathie G likes this.
  10. SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
    Greeks eat mostly weeds and broadleaf greens. Not much of a grass or hay eating species. Also, certain vegetables as a treat only, like cucumbers. It's not part of their staple diet.
    Cathie G likes this.
  11. SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
    No iceberg lettuce (it has no nutritional value), and no tomato (too much sugar). Greeks all have same diet so subspecies doesn't matter.

Weeds and broadleaf greens are best. Can provide a variety with grocery store greens 1-2 times a week (escarole, endive, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, and radicchio). No fruits (to high in sugars), and very little vegetables (most also have too many sugars). Mazuri is also good to feed to provide a different taste, and lots of nutrients.
    Cathie G likes this.
  12. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    Hello. Your little one probably just needs a good soak or bath now and then(not too deep). I use a little teeny bit of extra virgin coconut oil to give him a polish after his bath sometimes. Then fluff him up with his bath towel. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes in his coloring.
  13. Law

Law Member

London
    Thank you Cathy, he has had a soak. I already have some organic raw virgin coconut oil in the cupboard, I will give him a buff after his next soak!
    Cathie G likes this.
  14. Michael231

Michael231 Member

California
    I definitely agree it looks like a Greek tortoise (Testudo gracea ssp. {if I had to guess I’d say an old Iberian, but I could be off}), but I think that has been established!

You mentioned at the start of this threat you’re feeding kale. Be careful, and I’d suggest not feeding kale, as it is high in oxalic acid, which keeps calcium from being properly synthesized into the body.
    Cathie G likes this.
  15. Michael231

Michael231 Member

California
    Not supposed to say “threat” meant to say “thread”
    Cathie G likes this.
  16. Law

Law Member

London
    Thank you, I’m struggling with what else to feed, that you can buy immediately, that doesn’t have to be grown from seed.

I will stop the kale. At the moment I have plenty of dandelions in gardens, which he loves. Is this enough for his dietary requirements?
    Cathie G likes this.
  17. SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
    Yes, his garden variety will be fine as his staple. See my previous post (#31) for other things you can add to mix things up so there are different textures and flavors.
    Cathie G likes this.
  18. puffinboots

puffinboots Member

Romaine lettuce is more nutritious than iceberg, not too much tomato though, but dandelions , what luck , wish I had some for my creeps.
    Cathie G likes this.
  19. Law

Law Member

London
    Sorry I missed your previous post about what to feed. Thank you all again
    Philip Rome, Cathie G and Michael231 like this.
  20. Michael231

Michael231 Member

California
    For feed you can also mix in some hibiscus leaves if you have any, and provide the flowers as well on occasion.

I think someone already linked the Greek Tortoise care sheet to this thread so you already have that.

Check out The Tortoise Table (just google it and it will pop up). It lists dozens of plants of all varieties that are safe to feed to your tortoise if you want to add in some variation. For your greek you could also plant a few succulents (I use broadleaf stonecrop) and occasionally add in some shredded spineless Opuntia cactus if you have any where you are at.
    El_Gumpo, Philip Rome and Cathie G like this.