Could you help me find out the species of my tortoise?

eri

Hi all!

We were given this tortoise yesterday as a present. Our friend doesn't know what species it is. Can anyone identify it?

Also, we have no information on what we should feed him/her or what type of habitat we should provide him/her with.

After a quick research we set up this small area for our little tortoise. Could you point out any mistakes?

Thanks in advance!

20151108_144728[1].jpg 20151108_144708[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
He is lovely, but as they don't come with instruction manuals maybe not the best pressie to spring on someone.
Never mind you have come to the right place for up to date information and great ideas for enclosures etc.
Sorry I can't help with the ID, but once you have that you will be able to find a caresheet to tell you all about temps humidity substrate and diet. You have made a good start with the enclosure but I think he could probably do with a lot more floor space. Go by floor dimensions rather than volume. 4' x 8' is roughly the minimum suggested.
If you could sink his water dish lever with the top of the substrate he will be able to get in and out more easily to self soak and stay hydrated.

What are you using for uvb and heat? Any sort of coil or long thin loop type cfl are NOT safe and can damage eyes so avoid those.
I use an arcadia mini d3 mvb (mercury vapour bulb) which gives light heat and uvb rays in one bulb which I hang so that I can adjust the temps by lowering or raising. There are other similar makes out there too.
At night I use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) on a thermostat which turns the CHE on or off as required. Both are in wide hoods so the heat is directed down.

I think most torts like leafy foods such as raddicio, frisee, lambs, lettuce, romaine, collard greens, kale in moderation If you have access to dandelions that haven't been sprayed or near car fumes they would be good, or if can buy Florette Classic Crispy Salad that may be OK for now and I would avoid any fruit until you have an ID and the correct diet list.
www.thetorotisetable.org.uk is good for identifying tort safe plants.
Some torts need protein (like worms) but I don't think yours will so hold off on that.
Sorry I can't be of more help but I hope that will help for now - others will be here soon.
Where in the world are you living? That will help the more experienced members give the right advice for your climate.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Forgot to say welcome to the forum!!

eri

Thanks Lyn for your swift reply!

That's great info! Thanks for taking the time to comment on her living area! I haven't got any heat/light so far as we live in Cyprus where it is still warm and sunny! I will research your suggestions though!

We live in Cyprus if any one could help identifying our little friend's species. :)

Dosu

Kuwait
Hello and welcome!
I'm not a proffessional or anything but I'm pretty sure your tortoise is a greek tortoise. What subspecies I do not know, but likely a greek. Read these threads, they are really helpful.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rospective-or-beginner-tortoise-owners.22635/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Also since I think your tortoise is a greek tortoise (he may not be) read this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

I'll send a shoutout to @HermanniChris, he's good at identifying tortoises.
Another thing, since there's a chance that he's a greek tortoise, I wouldn't feed him any fruits, like that apple in the photo. Greeks are not supposed to eat any fruits. For now feed him rocket, dandilions or romaine lettuce or the weeds mentioned in the care sheet I linked above until someone gives a proper identification.

Also, I'd sink his water dish into the substrate, it seems like it would be pretty hard/dangerous for the tortoise to get in when it's that high.

Good luck!

EDIT: Another thing I'd do is move the water dish away from the feeding dish. Looking at the pictures, there's a chance he could try to climb the food side and flip into the water dish. Just a precaution :p

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Lyn for your swift reply!

That's great info! Thanks for taking the time to comment on her living area! I haven't got any heat/light so far as we live in Cyprus where it is still warm and sunny! I will research your suggestions though!

We live in Cyprus if any one could help identifying our little friend's species. :)
If she is able to have some time in the sun (with shade available) then you should be Ok for now but they need uvb to digest food and absorb the nutrients etc and obviously heat to keep active. So if she is likely to be indoors you will need to provide artificial sources, but again NOT coil/loopy bulbs. The two I mentioned in last post work fine for me. I think night temps shouldn't be much lower than about 75'F but again you need an ID to be more specific on that. I have a leopard tort called Lola and his temps and needs are different.

In your corner of the world then she could well be a Greek, or a Russian or a Hermanns, but I am guessing so don't take my word for it!!
Hope you have an ID soon!

Reactions: eri

eri

Hello and welcome!
I'm not a proffessional or anything but I'm pretty sure your tortoise is a greek tortoise. What subspecies I do not know, but likely a greek. Read these threads, they are really helpful.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rospective-or-beginner-tortoise-owners.22635/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Also since I think your tortoise is a greek tortoise (he may not be) read this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

I'll send a shoutout to @HermanniChris, he's good at identifying tortoises.
Another thing, since there's a chance that he's a greek tortoise, I wouldn't feed him any fruits, like that apple in the photo. Greeks are not supposed to eat any fruits. For now feed him rocket, dandilions or romaine lettuce or the weeds mentioned in the care sheet I linked above until someone gives a proper identification.

Also, I'd sink his water dish into the substrate, it seems like it would be pretty hard/dangerous for the tortoise to get in when it's that high.

Good luck!

Thank you Dosu!

I fixed the water dish now. She hadn't attempted to go in all day. I hope she does now that it is more accessible!

Off to read the threads you suggested. Seems like there is a lot of homework for me! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi eri, and welcome to the Forum!

The sides on the waterer are pretty steep. When he tries to climb out he might tip over backwards into the water and drown. We recommend plant saucers for waterers because the sides slope.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to you and your cute:<3: tort! :tort:

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
Hi all!

We were given this tortoise yesterday as a present. Our friend doesn't know what species it is. Can anyone identify it?

Also, we have no information on what we should feed him/her or what type of habitat we should provide him/her with.

After a quick research we set up this small area for our little tortoise. Could you point out any mistakes?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 154922 View attachment 154923
Looks like a hermanns to me but I'm not very good with hermanni

eri

Hi eri, and welcome to the Forum!

The sides on the waterer are pretty steep. When he tries to climb out he might tip over backwards into the water and drown. We recommend plant saucers for waterers because the sides slope.

Thanks, I will get one of those tomorrow. She hasn't attempted to go in the water yet. I think she is still getting used to the environment.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You have a Greek tortoise for sure and appears to be the T. g. ibera subspecies.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello there and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from another Mediterranean owner.
it is a Greek tortoise, like mine, if you need any help at all don't hesitate to ask! :)
Cheap terracotta saucers big enough for the tortoise to soak in are ideal and i use a piece of slate of sandstone to put the food on as this helps keep the beak trimmed.

bobc

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Hi, how is your tort doing? I live near Paphos and my tort has gone into its hibernation box this week. My tort lives outside until hibernation and sleeps in a shelter, main diet is plantain and vine leaves but also nibbles the veg patch. Always happy to help ,just call me on 99932907, Bob

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome to the forum dear Cyprus tortoise friends!
Best.Forum.Ever. for info sharing to make sure your little one thrives!
And I do love the colorful tie dye fun on your faces! That's great! Whoo-yaaa!