Which Terrapin sub-species...?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
... anyone know? ( be sure to clic pic again to go full screen )

Male heading to bask -

Female heading to 'nest-box' to find her spot -

Guess what that means?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm clueless as to the subspecies, but GOSH, they're beautiful!!!

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
Hi! What a beauty! Its a diamondback terrapin --found in the brackish waters of the Eastern US. Wow! Ive never seen one -- your picture is fabulous!! Thanks for sharing.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Nedy these ( Ornate's ) are not very common in personal collections.. they are quite costly - I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.. and traded for them.

This is an older [ older than the first ] female.. a little shy [ she would not extend her head ] - look at the enormous head -

And that face -

I've been keeping Terrapins since '09 and have finally acquired the "Ornates".

I'll share a few of my "Northern/Concentrics" if you'd like to see them.... or anyone else? A few new ones for 2013.....

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
I've only seen pictures of them in old wildlife type books as a kid. I had no idea they had such BIG heads. How big is the turtle? Like a red eared slider size? Please do post more pictures!!!
Redfoot NERD said:
Nedy these ( Ornate's ) are not very common in personal collections.. they are quite costly - I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.. and traded for them.

This is an older [ older than the first ] female.. a little shy [ she would not extend her head ] - look at the enormous head -

And that face -

I've been keeping Terrapins since '09 and have finally acquired the "Ornates".

I'll share a few of my "Northern/Concentrics" if you'd like to see them.... or anyone else? A few new ones for 2013.....

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Anthony P said:
Wow Terry, that's great! I didn't know you had macros. Will this be your first time breeding these?

Absolutely...

We just got home with them late Saturday night.

My new friend and I have been waiting for the timing/weather to be just right since February! I'm getting too old to be driving 800+ miles - left just before daylight and got back just after dark-ish.. the same day!!!

He sent me home with a few gravid females.. much to my surprise - [ not part of the original deal ] WHAT A BLESSING!!!

There's a couple clutches of my Concentrics in the incubator now.. the first clutch of 6 is due any day.

Thanks all for your appreciation.. those are what makes this worthwhile!

Nedy I've gotten these female pics mixed up.. I've shown 3 different ones so far.

Since I've just gotten them [ more than I thought ] I've been running around getting another tub set-up for them.. so they aren't crowded - so I've not gotten any real "stats" yet. I'll guess and say the smallest is 6-7" SCL and the largest is 8-9" SCL.

I'll get more pics tomorrow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJk1uM1v2eY

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet! I would love to get one of them but they are not legal to keep in Texas without permits .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
One of my favorite turtles but not one to keep here in Florida. They are pretty easy to observe in the wild, some of the prettiest habitats in Florida, too. Of course, it's easy when someone shows you how and where, at least a lot less paddling. You have some killer animals, good luck with them. I'm very jealous you can keep so many.....

Anthony, when you guys come down, we are going canoeing for macros, after the ANF.

A pretty wild female, we are only permitted to keep two here in Florida. I don't keep any now but really love them, too.
79b950abc1d2f3383dd7904b3c110b99.jpg

4285396c7cd9e9c4f05052bff9ffc051.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Wow.. I gotta get my stuff together and get down there! I would love to get out there and observe them in their habitat. What a herper's dream.

Normally, I'm not necessarily attracted to girls with big heads, but turtles are the exception! Look at that pretty girl!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks Gerard - "How 'wise' it would it be to accept the prophecy!"

I AM really stoked about how this will play out.. and soon.

The rain here has kept me from finishing their new enclosure.. ( they are in the tub with nest-box attached now.. too crowded ) but it should encourage them to lay. This spring has been bizarre.. too wet.. with crazy temps! Everything is "out-of-balance".. it will focus soon!

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
I wish you good luck, it's a cool turtle to see hatching out. I'm sure there will be some great photos to come.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Anthony P said:
Oh, I bet. These guys are so striking as hatchlings. They look like little aliens, in a good way! Macros are crazy cool.

Anthony my end of the trade felt like " a Corvette " :cool:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The thread with this pic went nowhere..

Somewhat concerned why she hasn't "nested". Only the one egg.. palpating yesterday revealed a 'full' clutch.. and she has released a milky substance [ instead of more eggs ] - wondering if it's stress from the move, etc.

What about Oxytocin guys? What's your take on it? [ I have 'limited' experience with it ]

Status
Not open for further replies.