Sub species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tartaruga!

5 Year Member
Hiya, whilst browsing round here, I've noticed the phrase sub species being used quite a bit.
Sorry for being a bit thick :( but could someone explain what it means, well i get its like a spin off from the original 'hermann breed' but how does that come about and how to tell which sub species I have?

Thanks
R :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like in the leopards. There is the babcocki and the parradeli(prob. Not spelled right) the hermanns, I believe there are western and eastern. I can tell somewhat the diff. in the leopard. Don't know about the hermanns. This post will give you a bump and hopefully more answers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Subspecies is just a further distinction amongst members of the same species. Often the sub specific animals come from different regions within the range of the species and show different characteristics. For Testudo hermanni there are three sub species. Eastern, Dalmation and Western. I'd estimate that around 90% of the ones available are Easterns. Maybe 9% dalmations, and the remaining 1% Westerns. I'm just guessing at those numbers. GB or Chris could give a more accurate estimation of the percentages.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tartaruga! said:
Hiya, whilst browsing round here, I've noticed the phrase sub species being used quite a bit.
Sorry for being a bit thick :( but could someone explain what it means, well i get its like a spin off from the original 'hermann breed' but how does that come about and how to tell which sub species I have?

Thanks

Hi R,

Let me take a moment to explain the taxonomic system. Taxonomy is a way to classify living beings (animals, plants, fungi, and microbes) into different layered groups. All life on Earth is thought to have begun some 4 billion years ago, and since then creatures have basically been diverging from each other genetically and physically. The longer populations have been apart, and the greater the selection pressure on them, the more different they will be. Here are the basic taxonomic levels:

Domain - The three main categories of life. These are Bacteria, Archaea, and Eucarya. This last domain, Eucarya, includes all animals, plants, fungi, and protists.

Kingdom - For example, Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, etc. Let's stick with Animalia (animals).

Phylum - A large grouping, such as Chordata (animals with a notochord), which includes sea squirts, lancelets, and vertebrates.

Subphylum - A slightly smaller grouping, such as Vertebrata (animals with back bones).

Class - More similarity still, as in Class Reptilia (vertebrates with thick skin and scales, and that lay their eggs on land).

Order - A smaller grouping, such as Testudines (all turtles, including tortoises).

Family - For example, Testudinidae (the tortoise family).

Genus - Divergence on the order of millions of years, as in the genus Testudo (all Mediterranean tortoises).

Species - Even more recent divergence, and usually members of a species are capable of forming healthy, fertile offspring. Example: the Hermann tortoise (Testudo hermanni).

Subspecies - More recent divergence still. Usually still reproductively compatible, but may have some differences or regional adaptations. Examples:

Testudo hermanni hermanni - Western Hermann tortoise
T. hermanni hercegovinensis - Dalmatian Hermann tortoise
T. hermanni boettgeri - Eastern Hermann tortoise

Finally, some less formal, lower-level groupings:

Races and Clines - Naturally occurring, but not very different types below the level of species or subspecies. Races are more distinct, while clines fall more along a continuum (as in humans).

Breed - An artificially selected group within a species or subspecies characterized by certain traits, such as body type or behavior. NOTE: There are no tortoise breeds. All tortoises are from naturally occurring species or subspecies. The term "breed" applies only to domestic animals, such as dogs, cats, horses, etc.

Strain or Line - A certain type within a species, subspecies, or breed that may be differentiated by certain traits, such as size or color.

Population - A group of individuals in a certain area that are likely to reproduce among themselves.

Hope that helps. :)

Tartaruga!

5 Year Member
Ok cool thanks for the info :)

So most likely my Tartaruga is an eastern subspecies of hermann ;)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Subspecies is just a further distinction amongst members of the same species. Often the sub specific animals come from different regions within the range of the species and show different characteristics. For Testudo hermanni there are three sub species. Eastern, Dalmation and Western. I'd estimate that around 90% of the ones available are Easterns. Maybe 9% dalmations, and the remaining 1% Westerns. I'm just guessing at those numbers. GB or Chris could give a more accurate estimation of the percentages.

There may be a 4th subspecies (depending on who you're talking to) called Testudo hermannin peloponnesica (as of yet not conclusively confirmed to be genetically different to T. h. boettgeri)...the experts are still duking it out over this matter... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.