Which of these seeds would you choose?

newgirl53

Hi everyone. I've got a 10 month old Hermann tortoise that I am trying to figure out food for. So far he's been living on store bought greens. I've tried giving him dandelion and some clover but he wouldn't touch it. I've had a hard time finding tortoise seed mixes here in Canada and have decided to make my own to try! I'm nervous because I am horrible at growing things. I kill every plant I touch, but I want to give my tort a better diet so I'm going to try.

I'm using this website specifically: https://www.westcoastseeds.com

From there, what would you guys get?

So far on my list I have crimson clover, red clover and wheat grass. Those were on the list I found in the grazing tortoise seed mix from carolina pet supply.

What's the best to get from this site? Preferably that's easy to grow. Also, if you guys have any growing tips, I'm all ears!

newgirl53

Also... Can I just buy some seeds, mix them all together and try to plant trays of grazing food??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Also... Can I just buy some seeds, mix them all together and try to plant trays of grazing food??
yes you can. What's the weather like up in your area? I would suggest growing some type of squash they grow quickly produced a lot of leaves in a lot of flowers. Many of them are also cold hardy

newgirl53

Weather is scorching in the summer, and cold-freezing in the fall and winter lol. Can they eat squash leaves? My issue is I don't want to plant in the ground, I'd rather plant in pots/trays. I don't really have anywhere to plant directly in the ground.

I've also heard that wild bird seed can be used, too? Hm. I'm just not sure what to get.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I have used bird seed before it grows quick so there's no problem there and it grows quite well ib pots & trays.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
and yes they can eat squash leaves and flowers grow several different varieties and they'rs always a big hit

newgirl53

Thanks so much for your help. So I can pick up any wild bird seed and that's safe for my Beans? I think I'm going to give that a try :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just be aware that torts are very picky eaters. They like what they know. It's very common for them to refuse an awful lot of good stuff.

You have to be the strict parent of the child that only wants to eat chocolate and chips and point out that there's nothing else... what you have is dinner.

Your tort may well go on hunger strike, but a hungry tort will eat. A tort can go for a few weeks without food as long as you soak daily and come to no harm.

You have to have a stronger will than your tort. After 46 years we're still playing mind games with Joe from time to time. He doesn't learn :D

newgirl53

Ah, I hope I can! Lol. I look into Beans' little face and I just want to give into him. I hope I can turn him over to weeds and I'm glad to know that he won't go hungry. Truth be told, he's a little overweight and I think it's because of the bought foods :( I'm going to start spreading his food out and making him work for it a little.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
This is from another post of mine:

Tortoise Supply has a great selection and fair prices http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Desert Seed Store has some good mixes and hard-to-find seed species. Very cool that they hand-collect much of it. Especially great for Desert Tortoise people http://www.desertseedstore.com/shop/
I like Kitazawa for seeds of Asian greens http://www.kitazawaseed.com
Adaptive Seeds has many unusual varieties chosen for growing in cooler climates, including amaranths and quinoa https://www.adaptiveseeds.com
Territorial is similar and has a great red-stemmed dandelion http://www.territorialseed.com/category/s?keyword=dandelion
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has tons of varieties, including a nice upright plantain http://www.rareseeds.com/store/herbs/herbs-o-z/
And lastly, granddaddy of all my favorite seed companies: Johnny's
http://www.johnnyseeds.com

newgirl53

Are they American companies, though? I need Canadian companies. The border is super strict about any type of plants/seeds coming through. I know there's one American company that can send here ($30 for a pound) but I'm sure I'd get hit with crazy duty fees on top of that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm just not sure what to get.

Get it all and try it all out. You just never know what will work best. Try it all and see what grows well for you.

And one more vote for squash leaves and blooms. Any type of squash leaves. Pumpkins, summer squash, zucchini, cucumber, butternut, etc. All the leaves are good.

newgirl53

Is there a list of stuff that's safe for Hermann's? There are a lot of seeds on that site and I'm just not sure what's safe for him, which is why I posted here. I'd also like to try some type of flowers for him, to see if he'll eat them...

I'll have to look into growing some type of squash. I hope it isn't too late in the season!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Is there a list of stuff that's safe for Hermann's? There are a lot of seeds on that site and I'm just not sure what's safe for him, which is why I posted here. I'd also like to try some type of flowers for him, to see if he'll eat them...

I'll have to look into growing some type of squash. I hope it isn't too late in the season!
you probably will not get any squash but you should get lots of leaves and flowers they do pretty well in pots as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yay! I'm going to plant some squash this weekend :)

My daughter pushes pumpkin seeds and other squash seeds into all of our many pots outside. We have squash vines growing everywhere in the summer. It is not too late in the season. Like Captain Awesome said, you'll get lots of leaf growth before fall sets in. It grows pretty fast.

newgirl53

How often can he eat them?

I went to a friend's garden today and picked some squash and cucumber leaves, as well as some blossoms. I'm going to give them to Beans tomorrow. They seem so prickly underneath, though. I hope he likes them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often can he eat them?

I went to a friend's garden today and picked some squash and cucumber leaves, as well as some blossoms. I'm going to give them to Beans tomorrow. They seem so prickly underneath, though. I hope he likes them!

They can eat some everyday if its mixed with lots of other stuff. Just keep using lots of variety.

Like any new food, it may take some time, a little hunger, and a few offerings before your tortoise decides to love this new food. Some of mine eat it the first time they see it and others take a little while to come around. The spines will not bother your tortoise in the least.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I've noticed the prickly leaves as well on must of those types of plans and it doesn't bother the tortoises at all and they seem to actually like it