tortoise seed mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi I an building a new tort table an was thinking of order some seeds from Carolina pet supply the grazing tortoise mix to grow in the table It contains:

Crimson Clover
Red Clover
Creeping Red Fescue

Turnip Greens
Fescue
Kentucy Blue Grass
Orchard Grass
Wheat Grass
Oat Grass
Rye Grass
Barley Grass
Chia
Chicory
Timothy Grass

should I get any other seed or should that be enough is any body else growing it an do your tort's like it :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great mixture. I have it planted in both my Aldabran and Leopard pens.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I grow that in my outside pens and the torts love it :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That's a great mixture...but I think they also sell plantain and mallow seeds plus it couldn't hurt to throw in some dandelion seeds.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that is a good mix. I got the pasture mix at the local nursery a few years back and it had lots of grasses and clover in it. Did well.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank's every one does any one grow inside will the uvb bulb be all I need? or do I need to get a grow bulb too

scubatyler

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Thank's every one does any one grow inside will the uvb bulb be all I need? or do I need to get a grow bulb too

To grow inside you will likely need fluorescent grow bulbs, high pressure sodium bulbs, or metal halide bulbs. A fluorescent grow setup is by far the cheapest but you have to buy good bulbs made for growing plants and the need to be within a few inches of the tops of the plants so the hight needs to be easily adjustable. The cheapest way to do this kind of setup would be to go to home depot or lowes and get a couple of 4' shoplight fixtures and hook them together with a 2x4. Use chains to hang it so it is adjustable. You can also purchase yo-yo type light hangers that are amazing for this type of a setup. With some fertilizer (organic or chemical) and water you should be able to grow some nice food indoors for your tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.