Which light fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Ok so Im going to be ordering the MVB light - just wanted to check what kind of light fixture is best for it? Is it ok if I have just this light? Does the fixture NEED to be ceramic, or can it be an ordinary light fixture, any kind (of course not plastic lol)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Nope, you need ceramic :D otherwise the bulb could blow immediately, or you could start an electrical fire.

If you are getting it off of reptile depot, get this lamp: http://reptiledepot.com/domeheat.html

The ten inch one from the bottom of the page. You might want to get the stand on the bottom of the page as well. That is the one I use (and the lamp I use too :D)

Hope this helps

M

Maggie Cummings

I think the mercury vapor light gets super hot and that's why you need the ceramic socket. BUT...I am more familiar with UVB and separate heating bulbs...so in your case I am kinda guessing...but I just wanted to be the first to reply to your post:D...ha ha...we know that someone with more expertise in bulbs will answer you...

and Meg beat me anyway...look at the times ha!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
lol, beat you to it Maggie! *waves hands* I've got fast fingers!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Helps a lot thanks a million for you fast fingers Meg, and for your almost as fast fingers too Maggs :D
I'll get the 10 inch lamp and the stand too, only the best for Miss Tallula !!!!!

For curiosity sake, and educational....is it the Socket that is ceramic, not the actual light dome thingy? Lol blonde moment....good to know

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
yup. just the socket. the dome is metal.

:D ya welcome stace!

Stazz

5 Year Member
:D coolio ! Well guess what, a new pet store called Pet ZOne opened on the main road here called Sheikh Zayed rd, and they cater for reptiles !!!!!!!!!! yAHHOOOOO
I called them they have all sorts of lights, not the MVB one, but they have all the others. They also have clamp lamps. It'll be way cheaper for me to buy the stuff here than buy it in US$ and then still ship it. Other than MVB, what are good lights to use??? Whats the necessity? :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Yes, a ceramic socket is a must for high wattage bulbs, not just MVB. A MVB will work in other sockets, but the risk of an electrical problem/fire goes way up!

Someday if they have 60 watt MVB's, a ceramic base would not be needed. Watts for this conversation is the same thing as saying heat, more watts....more heat!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Thanks, I just ordered the lamp and stand for Taco's indoor tortoise house this winter. I appreciate the recommendation.:)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Ok awesome thanks for that Betts

Can anyone recommend any other lights, not the long tube ones, but heat and UV lights that are round? Is that even available? hehe

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think they only have MVBs and UVB tubes...explain more what you are looking for? I thought you were getting a MVB? That's all you will need for UVB. If you really needed more like, you'd use a regular light bulb. For more heat, a heat emitter. You only need one UVB source.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Well Nick got a new job, so we will indeed be ordering the MVB from the States :) And all that goes with it !!! THANKS FOR ALL YR HELP :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Well Nick got a new job, so we will indeed be ordering the MVB from the States :) And all that goes with it !!! THANKS FOR ALL YR HELP :D

Congratulations to Nick for the new job :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Walmart or feed stores that sell chicks , farm supply stores..usually have a good supply of heat lamps. ck for the ceramic socket.. i have found them for $5.
Of course the best light fixture is the one high in the sky that we all have. :)

electricbluebird

5 Year Member
We purchased a Fluker's lamp yesterday to install in the outdoor shed for colder weather. We don't have a basement. I think we got a 50 watt bulb? Its supposed to go to 95 deg. We were hoping to install it in the top of a large dogloo but it looks like it will go just outside. This is will be run from an extension cord from the house.

Frankly, I am a little scared of this set-up but DH seems confident that it will work. THoughts?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pictures would be very helpful for us to visualize the setup (or use more words to explain). I can't tell what you are talking about except a dogloo and a heat emitter? These are used together commonly, but yes, you want to take some precautions with electrocution, over heating, under heating, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.