Zoomed (metal) clamp light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
This is the only product thus far that I've been dissappointed with. I purchased it along with a 20" light fixture (a metal stand). The stand has a little hook on the end, which the light fixture rests on. The metal hook burned THROUGH the light fixture. Not only could this have started a fire by dripping hot metal into the enclosure- this ALSO could have seriously injured my tort. I give it two thumbs down. . . . . . I have since purchased a different light fixture that is porcelian instead of metal- and absolutely love it. . . .no problems, no melting, no potential house fire. . . . . .*wipes brow*

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
How did you have it set up on that? I have the same setup with the stand and the clamp light and the hook isn't even hot to the touch.

20100831202317.jpg

SweetPete7

5 Year Member
South Dakota
wpk said:
How did you have it set up on that? I have the same setup with the stand and the clamp light and the hook isn't even hot to the touch.

20100831202317.jpg

Similar to that, however I had the "bowl" resting on the hook. Perhaps that (my way) isn't how your supposed to use the light/stand combo- but I've had no problems with doing it that way with the porcelain lamp.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Logically if it melted it must not have been the way the manufacturer intended it to be installed. I do wish fixtures like this came with instructions/photos as they aren't as obvious as the hanging ones (which I much much prefer and think are safer, as I never got the type pictured here to my liking). Can you take a photos how you have yours set up? I would hate you to think its ok when its unsafe, and I can't 100% picture what you are doing with it.

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
From what he described I'm guessing it was similar to the way mine is set up, but the dome of the bulb fixture was up against the hook. I would imagine that could get pretty hot (mine doesn't touch the hook).

HarleyK

5 Year Member
The black dome of my zoo med clamp is touching the metal hook as well as the neck of the metal clamp. In fact the dome rests on the metal part of the clamp for couple months straight and no problems! I am using 100 watts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.