Which filter for shallow water?

crazyanimalperson

Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
I have a 1 month old reeves turtle hatchling, I brought a filter for him but it turns out that it has a minimum water level that would be too deep. I had planned to do water changes every day until he is big enough to have that water depth, but this is stressing him out and I feel uncomfortable about not having a filter for him. I've looked at a lot of filters but I can't find one (in New Zealand) that could be placed in shallow water, and has flow control. Any suggestions?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a 1 month old reeves turtle hatchling, I brought a filter for him but it turns out that it has a minimum water level that would be too deep. I had planned to do water changes every day until he is big enough to have that water depth, but this is stressing him out and I feel uncomfortable about not having a filter for him. I've looked at a lot of filters but I can't find one (in New Zealand) that could be placed in shallow water, and has flow control. Any suggestions?
Conundrum- buy a new filter or buy some aquarium blocks to lift the "floor". Probably cheaper to by a shallow or flat filter than build up your substrate with aqua blocks to raise the whole water level.

crazyanimalperson

New Zealand
Conundrum- buy a new filter or buy some aquarium blocks to lift the "floor". Probably cheaper to by a shallow or flat filter than build up your substrate with aqua blocks to raise the whole water level.

The water level is only around 5 cms. Even some of the smaller filters are too big to filter such a shallow water level. My turtle isn't the best swimmer and struggles to surface if the depth is any higher. I think I'll have to wait until he's bigger.