Which can be fed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
My mom works at a hotel so she always bring veggies home.

I think those are every possible plant inside the bag.

I don't need to know the name, its very unlikely I'll remember them. I'm very visual though, so I placed numbers next to the veggies. Once I know which are fine to eat, I'll remember the look in my head.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like the baby greens that come inside the bag of Spring Mix. That is a fine assortment to feed your tortoise. Some people pick out and toss the spinach (maybe #6), but I don't.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Not a bad looking selection, but I would add more variety to that mix including romaine, clover if possible, vetch and more. Throw in an occasional variety of some vegetables and a form of calcium carbonate.

I agree with emyemys, spinach is fine, in moderation as are some of the other plants that people are branding as "evil" nowadays.

You might want to even try out some of the pellet foods such as Mazuri or other brands. Some tortoises eat it like crazy, some don't care much for it. In my opinion it's another option for variety.

The key is variety and quality.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Okay cool, just wanted to make sure they are safe. I have redfoots so they get catfoot on sundays so I didnt bother geting Mazxuries. I probably have to work on my fruit variety thought. But its good to know the veggies are good.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Since we are talking about feeding redfoot tortoises.. and I only know redfoots and have only used a small variety for OVER 10 years - and they are growing up healthy and some are now making babies; most of those greens are just a source of hydration/filler at best. ( Another ) And.. fruit is a vital part of their diet

Anytime redfoots are "ravenous" while being fed everyday.. it has to be from eating too much of the nutritionally "empty" items to fill that void. Romaine being right on the edge.

You will be far better off identifying the "best" nutritionally.. than just throwing a pile of "veggies" to them! And their overall health and kidneys will benefit most.

Variety is over-kill! Less [ of the best ] is best.

NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, it was in the food & diet, plant i.d. section. Didn't know we were talking about feeding redfoot tortoises.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
emysemys said:
Sorry, it was in the food & diet, plant i.d. section. Didn't know we were talking about feeding redfoot tortoises.

Unfortunately Yvonne fifthdawn [ like too many others ] didn't tell us they were redfoots were being fed until after the fact. The 'better' category would have helped too?.. I agree...

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It's not every possible plant that your Redfoot can eat and I think that's what Terry was trying to provide for you. There's a lot more if you'd like I'm sure we could name some off for you. Let us know. :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
#1 is Green Oak lettuce
#2 is Ridichio (sp?)
#3 is Red romaine
#4 is Romaine
#5 is Frazee (sp?)
#6 is spinach
#7 is red chard
#'s 1,2,4,5 are all concidered in the lettuce family. Lettuce is concidered high in water and lower in nutrition. But those lettuces do have some nutrients in them.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
@Candy, I just mean thats every possible plant inside the bag lol. I assume the #1 prefer plant, if you have to only feed 1 plant, is dandelion leaves? What are the top 3 plants, assuming you can only feed that plant.

@Crazy thanks, of the whole list, if you had to choose 2 best, which 2 would it be?

I really dont know how to judge nutritional value of veggies. I assume the greener it is the better? I think I know most of the the plants with oxalic acid and goitrogens that looks really green

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The thing about it is that Dale will no longer eat the dandelion leaves that I buy for him. He will only eat the flowers from the ones that grow outside and he absolutely loves them. I think I'll wait for Terry to answer the 3 plants question. Everyone has different takes on what is good and what is not. I myself have tried everything on Dale and I still give him lots to choose from. It's just that I think I've spoiled him with fruit and now he's become a picky tortoise eater. He doesn't like kale or mustard greens I've tried them many times. He doesn't really like to eat Romaine lettuce either. I hear spinach is not good to give to them all of the time. He will not touch Chard either I don't care what color you give to him. See I've probably spoiled him. I bet someone's going to yell at me when they read this post. :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, dandelion leaves, curly endive, escarole and turnip greens...in that order...I think. That's mostly what I give mine.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Does anyone have ideas on where to get Grape or hibiscus leaves in the winter, or are they more of a summer food!

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is so being over thought. Lets try not to make it more complicated than it really is. These animals eat in the wild whatever is seasonally available. That is it! It may be a dead squirrel monley today or fifteen pounds of figs tomorrow. That is the way the wild works. There is no menu that a tortoise orders off of. granted there are items that we can offer year round that are better than others. But that being said, way to much time is spent on this site claiming some "truth" that does not exist.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
elegans said:
This is so being over thought. Lets try not to make it more complicated than it really is. These animals eat in the wild whatever is seasonally available. That is it! It may be a dead squirrel monley today or fifteen pounds of figs tomorrow. That is the way the wild works. There is no menu that a tortoise orders off of. granted there are items that we can offer year round that are better than others. But that being said, way to much time is spent on this site claiming some "truth" that does not exist.

You are so right, but in capitivity they do have a menu. Since I have to buy everything they eat, I prefer to buy what is best!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Doug we're not trying to "over-think" this.. I'm trying to make it simple for those that "over-think" it!

Betts is right.. we have to do the best with what we have.

Hibiscus leaves come from plants that we keep alive over winter.

Again I sometimes have to rely on only one 'green' for a few months.. they thrive fine!

NERD

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was referring to the thread in it's totality! And yes it is being made far more complicated than it really is. There is no reason to be afraid of Romaine or Red Leaf or Butter crunch! There are plenty of other store bought greens that add variety and quality to the lives of the animals that we keep. A collard green is exactly the same plant as a cabbage, just bred to look different. Same species, my friend. Wishing you the best in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.