Where to get cypress mulch/bark

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Hi all from Oregon,
Been a while for us as we are just darn busy being 2 working parents with 2 boys, a tort, kitty and fish! Happy to report our Frankie (female Russian) has done great this winter as we decided not to hibernate her the first time (for us-previous owner had not). She is just a little sick and tired of winter (aren't we all) and being inside. Although she gets to come out and do baths and hang out time on the heated tiled floor of our sons large bathroom :) and adjacent hallway. Question for you all-esp in Pacific Northwest US. We had switched her big indoor tort table filling to cypress bark/mulch which she loves. But we are officially out of our stash and need to change the table (hubby Chris is on ALERT-ie it is on his honey-do list). But where to get it this time of year? Lowes-our go to place only has Cedar now. Any recommendations?

Nancy, Chris and Frankie (can I go outside yet ? no dear not yet.)

montana

5 Year Member
I was in the same boat as you .

I ended up ordering a whole pallet and having it shipped to the feed store ..

If they don`t have it they don`t have it .

You could try coir [coconut fiber ].

You can find it at gardening supply [hydroponics ] stores .

It comes in bricks that when mixed with water expand and makes nice bedding ,

M

Maggie Cummings

You really don't need to change it out as often as you think. I pick out the poop and use the same cypress mulch for about 2 years, sometimes longer... then I have my sister in Calif ship some to me, or I drive down to visit her and get some while I am there but that doesn't help you much...Try Home Depot often they have it...but clean your's out, look for and remove poop and don't change it out so often...

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Hey Maggie, just great to see you up here. I just appreciate you and your sis. We always get the poop and pee out as soon as we see it (or smell it -PU!) We use the mulch for quite a while-the bulk of it lasts several months probably originally from October. But sometimes the pee seems to be all in one spot and the mulch needs to go so the amount is dwindling. Frankie is rooming in with our son and so I am pretty picky about her bedding being really fresh. Chris is going to do a full table clean and actually just will pull out any mulch he thinks is soiled and we will see where we are. Thanks for the input.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Pretty much any wood or bark mulch that does not smell of cedar will work.

Some people avoid redwood and pine as well as cedar, but others use it with no problem, and there does not seem to be any clinical or scientific research suggesting it is harmful.

montana

5 Year Member
Take it out clean it let dry some then put in oven at 250 degrees till hot ..

Buy a little more mulch next spring ...

I would stay away from cedar or white wood pine even aspen..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Aspen is great (cedar and pine are not).

I was actually going to suggest aspen as an easy to find alternative to cypress, as this is an adult Russian we're talking about (low humidity need, plus this is the PNW, which is where I keep my Russian on aspen successfully, and the higher humidity helps dissuade my fears). You can get aspen at pet stores (don't get the wood mix, just aspen)--rodent section for larger pieces, or what I prefer, the snake stuff in a shredded form. Or, online (but likely expensive shipping).

If you feel like making a trip to Carnation WA (not sure on their shipping cost), the Bean Farm has a screaming deal on the stuff. 45 lb for $20. I think its 1/10th or 2/10th the price of the pet store. We buy a few bags which last more than a year for us. We can get some pretty good life out of the stuff with spot cleaning, and instead of full change outs, we just scoop off the top layer and anywhere the tort burrows. With a 17 sq ft enclosure with 6+ inch deep substrate, thats a lot to change out if we did the full thing!

Coconut coir is another easy to find alternative (pet stores & online...likely less shipping cost as you can get a compressed brick).

I think the suggestion to just try to stretch it (or bake it) until you can get a replacement might work too...we're probably talking 1 or 2 months? Or, keep the stuff in and add a bit of coconut coir or organic potting soil or whatever.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
We were at the local Al's Garden Center today and saw some Coco Mulch for sale. We first thought it was coconut but turns out it is cocoa bean shells ground up. Does anyone know anything about it and whether it is okay to use? It was of similar texture to the cypress mulch and appeared to have little to no fine dust contained. Might be another option?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard that dogs die from eating it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think anything from ground up shells with have a sharper texture than a mulch. I'd be wary, but without seeing it, I couldn't really advise you.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They sell it to keep cats away, but I have heard it is very bad for dogs. I think I saw something on the news about it. It is like eating chocolate for them. Best to just leave the coco mulch alone unless you have a cat problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.