Cypress Mulch Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I REALLY want to try out Cypress mulch. I have been using coconut coir substrate for over a year now and I like it, except that it sticks to them constantly.

However here's the problem. I'm in Michigan (metro detroit area, SE, MI).

And after visiting 4 home depots and 4 lowes, on top of about 4 or 5 garden shops. NONE have pure cypress mulch.

The best I found was at Home Depot and it said "Cypress mulch and bark". One would assume that it meant it has cypress mulch and cypress bark, wrong!

I called them up, to be sure. And they said the bark aspect of the bag actually had things like pine and other things. They said in the next few months, maybe next year, they will have something called "Classic Cypress Mulch" which is purely cypress.

They did say I could try calling some places further North (2+ hours away) to see if they had any.

Not sure I want to drive 2 hours for a $5 bag of cypress mulch. Does anyone have any recommendations? Places to try (fellow Michiganders) or anyone else that might know. Thanks!

I won't buy online, as It would come to over $20 in cypress mulch, just to cover the bottom of my 4x6 ft enclosure. And I may as well just buy coconut coir at that price, I know my torts don't mind it, but no idea if they like the cypress.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I get mine from a family owned Farm and Feed store in Maryland 50 miles from my house in Virginia and they stock it all year, they also have Mazuri foods.Check to see if there is one close to you . Good Luck

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
also you can try a landscape company too..there is one out by me...I will check there when i get off work and can let you know. I just bought some from home depot (since i am planning on redoing my enclosures this weekend) and sure enough its Cypress mulch Blend..Thats to your email...I know not to put it in my tanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What does the garden store stuff smell like? Cedar is a clinically proven irritant. Pine and redwood are thought to be irritants, but it is not clinically proven. It is the aromatic oils that cause the problems- whether breathed or in contact with the skin and eyes.

My opinion is that if you cannot smell it in a mulch or bark form, then it probably won't bother the tortoises.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
spikethebest said:

Thanks cory. Thats way too much to spend (i'd need 2 bags). Especially if the tortoises don't end up liking it. Which is why i won't buy online.

I can't really remember what it smelled like, but it did have a smell (all of them did). No need to chance it regardless.

Let me know if you know if you find out anything sweetness

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had the same problem for years. I finally got 4 bags from Tyler when he came to town for the Pomona Reptile show. You have that AZ show coming up Nov. 19th and 20th. You might check to see if Tyler will haul some over there for you.

I haven't used any of it yet. All my other stuff is working really well so I haven't needed it yet.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tom said:
I had the same problem for years. I finally got 4 bags from Tyler when he came to town for the Pomona Reptile show. You have that AZ show coming up Nov. 19th and 20th. You might check to see if Tyler will haul some over there for you.

I haven't used any of it yet. All my other stuff is working really well so I haven't needed it yet.

I'm not in AZ Tom lol! Michigan, other side of the country haha.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I live in CT and I couldn't find that stuff anywhere. Nor any other safe stuff. I found a local Agway that would order the mulch for me and well 4 days later they called me and told me it was in. It was about 6 dollars a bag now.... what I didn't know was it was 3 cubic feet!! Nice surprise but I had 4 bags!. So yeah see if any local places near you will special order it for you. I used that stuff from petco from zoo med and they seem to love it. It stays nice and clean too which... to me is a huge plus. Not to mention my Greeks love to dig and hide underneath it... =)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Finally found some pure Cypress Mulch at an English Gardens! Thanks to those who tried to help out!

So glad at $5 a bag (covers 18 sq feet). Hopefully I will have their enclosure re-done tonight/tomorrow. And they better like it, or else!

Status
Not open for further replies.