Worshiping Cypress Mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So I just got some forest floor cypress mulch mix and applied it to an area of my torts cage to try it out... They have gone crazy! They keep putting their heads in it, the little one I think is trying to eat it, and they are laying in it. Its very odd behavior... It looks like they are worshiping it! Should I take it out?

Update: They now seem to have lost interest in their new god lol

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Where did you get it from Jordan I would like to get some.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Jordan- That is too funny. I wonder if mine will have the same reaction, I will have to ready my video camera. :)

Candy- I just ordered some from petco, (currently on sale, and I had a coupon) I have also seen it at petsmart before too.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
They do settle down mine all went crazy when I put them in it. They love it. Heck I love it. Its easy to clean, retains its moisture and is fine shredded enough for hatchlings. What else could I ask for other than them selling it in much larger quantiaties.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
If you make it deep enough and moist enough they should bury themselves in it. Particularly if they are juveniles.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Well now I'm torn...I'm building Nelson a tort table soon and I was going to do an 80/20 coir/sand mix like he has now (that he seems to enjoy!)
...but everyone keeps saying how great cypress mulch is!
Why do you people do this to me?! ;)

I guess I'm picturing regular mulch and it doesn't sound appealing to me...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I will have to try it, thanks for the information. It's not like the mulch that we buy at Home Depot right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ChiKat said:
Well now I'm torn...I'm building Nelson a tort table soon and I was going to do an 80/20 coir/sand mix like he has now (that he seems to enjoy!)
...but everyone keeps saying how great cypress mulch is!
Why do you people do this to me?! ;)

I guess I'm picturing regular mulch and it doesn't sound appealing to me...

Katie...to ease your mind a bit about not using cypress mulch, there's a school of thought that we shouldn't use it because the cypress trees they get it from are dwindling in nature. So if you like the sand/coir, use it. Its mostly personal preference anyway. What works for you and how easy it is to take care of, and if the animal is comfy on it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Jordan...It's because they think of me when they smelled it. I use cypress mulch here and that's what was in their containers here. So they think of me when they smell it, obviously missing me!!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
maggie3fan said:
Jordan...It's because they think of me when they smelled it. I use cypress mulch here and that's what was in their containers here. So they think of me when they smell it, obviously missing me!!!

Aww that's so sweet ;) That MUST be what it is!!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Katie - I tried using cypress mulch when I first got Ernie, and I didn't like it that much, and frankly I don't think Ernie did either. The second I switched to coir/sand mix, he burrowed right down into it! He couldn't burrow into the cypress mulch. He loves to burrow, and if this is something Nelson does on the daily, I would consider coir/sand mix =]

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Damn, I knew Grandma would spoil them! You let those rascals get away with eating candy before bed and all that other stuff so of course they like you more ;)

Today I got some news rocks too, rounded ones, but some of them were sort of whitish and Millie decided they must be eggs and spent about 5 min trying to bite one lol (don't worry they are much to big to swallow or even be bitten)... Keeps the beaks trimmed I suppose. I think they think they are in candyland or something!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I went to Petco and bought some tonight. Will be trying it soon and I'll tell you if Dale likes it. I also got some of the Frog Moss that Terryo was talking about in a recent thread of hers. :D

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
It's different from the mulch at Home Depot. The problem with regular mulch is it is isn't sterilized and is often mixed with other woods like cedar, which contain Thujone, an aromatic oil that is irritating to respiratory tracts of small animals. However, regular mulch can be roasted in your oven to 400 degrees, and that should kill any bugs and vaporize the thujone, making it safe to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.