Where to find dandelion tops

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My tort goes crazy for the yellow dandelions. He used to get them all the time when I came home from school. Unfortunately I can't pick them anymore (Different school, and I don't go outside to the grassy areas as often) I want to know if anyone knows where to find them. Preferably not dried, he hates the dried stuff.

Tortski

Arizona
Humph what is this outside you speak of?

They aren't too common around here. The only grassy areas around here are parks and that school. They flood the parks regularly so by the time the water is gone, it's too late. As for the school, I doubt they would be happy with me. I would be a highschooler picking dandelions on the sidewalk. A bit weird, no?

Sent from my VS987 using Tortoise Forum mobile app

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You could perhaps grow some at home?
And I understand that some American supermarkets sell them.

Tortski

Arizona
You could perhaps grow some at home?
And I understand that some American supermarkets sell them.
I put some seeds in the cart yesterday. They probably won't survive very well, for some reason I can keep animals alive but not plants. I haven't seen any of the tops in stores, he does get greens every now and then. He loves the greens, just not as much as the flower.

I have this bag of "rabbit food" I don't remember the name, but it looks like rabbit food. It's full of dried stuff. Yesterday when he was relaxing I was taking bits of stuff out to see if he would eat it. As soon as I took the dandelion out, he hurried over and chomped on it. He ended up spitting it out because of how dry it is, but kept going back for more.

Tortski

Arizona
This is when I took him out to the park one day. (That was years ago, I'm much more careful of not feeding him stuff from there.) Such a tiny little booger. One of another favorite is grape leaves, but the grape vines don't stay alive0131131635a.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I put some seeds in the cart yesterday. They probably won't survive very well, for some reason I can keep animals alive but not plants. I haven't seen any of the tops in stores, he does get greens every now and then. He loves the greens, just not as much as the flower.

I have this bag of "rabbit food" I don't remember the name, but it looks like rabbit food. It's full of dried stuff. Yesterday when he was relaxing I was taking bits of stuff out to see if he would eat it. As soon as I took the dandelion out, he hurried over and chomped on it. He ended up spitting it out because of how dry it is, but kept going back for more.
Mazuri?
You can moisten it and then he might be more keen.
I am the same. I have the opposite of green fingers (I call it purple fingers) and kill all plants. :(

Tortski

Arizona
Mazuri?
You can moisten it and then he might be more keen.
I am the same. I have the opposite of green fingers (I call it purple fingers) and kill all plants. :(
I doubt it. I've tried the grass pellets (I forgot the name) with an orange box thing. He's not a fan of them, and I doubt he would eat anything like that. He doesn't even eat what is on top of it.
I can try it, but I doubt it would do much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're sold in the produce section of your market as chickory.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All of my local grocery stores sell Dandelion greens. (green and "red")
But, we have a huge Hispanic population.
Certainly Hispanic grocery stores near you will have them as well as cleaned cactus pads.

Tortski

Arizona
All of my local grocery stores sell Dandelion greens. (green and "red")
But, we have a huge Hispanic population.
Certainly Hispanic grocery stores near you will have them as well as cleaned cactus pads.
Well, I have no idea when we are going to one again. We grow prickly pear so we don't really have a use for going there again. I will see if I ever go again and remember. We get the greens from Sprouts (only place I've seen then) but not too often, because we only go there for his food

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well, I have no idea when we are going to one again. We grow prickly pear so we don't really have a use for going there again. I will see if I ever go again and remember. We get the greens from Sprouts (only place I've seen then) but not too often, because we only go there for his food
I figured that there would be a bunch of Mexican/Hispanic stores nearby.