where do aldabras go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Turtle

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
1,608
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Baoh avatar looks like Popeye, I can't imagine the bigger sized Greg with Popeye's arms though :D
 

sibi

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2012
Messages
6,483
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
What I'd like to know is who will take care of these magnificent animals when you guys get too old and weak to care for them?
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
84,755
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, you don't need a very large shed. You need floor space at least a little bigger than the tortoise will be at full size, then you double it so that there is room for him to get off the pig blanket or heat source. My two aldabs live in a 16'x16' shed. There are two pig blankets in two corners. The shed is tall enough for me to walk in there and stand up in order to clean it out. They push open the door every morning and go outside, whether it is raining or shining.
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
48,427
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
argus333 said:
what size shed or pen do u keep them in in winter? i have 80ft x120 ft space in yard. but how big is inside enclosures? in nj we still have some warm days here even in winter 60s are often now a days.
I wouldn't keep one, or recommend anyone keep one in a colder climate, unless you have the means to build a large heated warehouse and can afford the cost of heating something like that. Anything is possible with enough time and money, but housing and heating a of herd giant tortoise in the frozen north would cost an awful lot.
[hr]
emysemys said:
In my opinion, you don't need a very large shed. You need floor space at least a little bigger than the tortoise will be at full size, then you double it so that there is room for him to get off the pig blanket or heat source. My two aldabs live in a 16'x16' shed. There are two pig blankets in two corners. The shed is tall enough for me to walk in there and stand up in order to clean it out. They push open the door every morning and go outside, whether it is raining or shining.
I agree this is all thats needed IF you live in a relatively warm area. This would not be enough for a giant that had to remain indoors for months at a time, or in an area that is too cold in general. We have a few days in the 50s in the winter, but most days are into the 60s and 70s. Imagine if your normal daily highs were in the teens or 20's from November to March, with nights below zero.
 

Spn785

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
809
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I REALLY want to get an Aldabra one day, but I feel as though I live in too cold a climate and I don't think I have enough room, even though I have about half an acre.
[hr]
Boah, what part of missouri are you in?
 

Baoh

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
1,827
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
sibi said:
What I'd like to know is who will take care of these magnificent animals when you guys get too old and weak to care for them?
Heraclean offspring if I am so fortunate.

Old and weak will take a lot of years unless I am hit with a very unfortunate event.
[hr]
Spn785 said:
I REALLY want to get an Aldabra one day, but I feel as though I live in too cold a climate and I don't think I have enough room, even though I have about half an acre.
[hr]
Boah, what part of missouri are you in?
Eastern.
 

argus333

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2012
Messages
383
ya i see them at reptile shows feeds pet center by me in ny also has them for sale from time to time. it seems like a lot sold and i wonder if they will become like sulcatas and overrun the U S.
[hr]
woops freds pet center...
 

Yellow Turtle

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
1,608
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
argus333 said:
ya i see them at reptile shows feeds pet center by me in ny also has them for sale from time to time. it seems like a lot sold and i wonder if they will become like sulcatas and overrun the U S.
[hr]
woops freds pet center...
Not that fast, considering the age needed for the female to lay eggs and all the big fields needed to breed them.
 

Yellow Turtle

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
1,608
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Will said:
Go to the Philly Zoo, with that indoor /outdoor setup we bred galops, it's not so big a deal. Will
I hope one day. May you share how big the enclosure they have to breed the galop?
 

Kapidolo Farms

Well-Known Member
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
4,826
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
YellowTurtle, I was suggesting to argus 333 that they go look at the philly zoo, as they live in New Jersey, geographically never a longer drive than two hours. To answer your question the eggs were laid indoors at night, the laying area is about 12 by 20 feet the rest of the indoor area is cement at aout 40 by 20, maybe smaller. The outside area is big enough for maybe forty cars to park (based on looking with google satellite images). Will
 

argus333

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2012
Messages
383
i have been there many times don't think outside area is no where near that big. they also have a about 8 adults as well.
 

Kapidolo Farms

Well-Known Member
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Nov 7, 2012
Messages
4,826
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
argus333 said:
i have been there many times don't think outside area is no where near that big. they also have a about 8 adults as well.
I probably overestimated the inside area too. It is a large area for the amount of time the tortoises get outside.

Will
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Posts

Top