When will "buddy" tortoises need to be separated?

pterry

Location (City and/or State)
N E Lincolnshire
I know the obvious answers of "as soon as they start fighting", and "you shouldn't house more than one tortoise to begin with", but hear me out here.

I have two tortoises, one I had from 3 months old from a pet shop, now about 8 years old, and one more recent one I got from a rehoming situation, their documents list them as about 6 years old. I ended up popping them together as a last minute resort due to me being the literal only person this other person knew who had a tortoise, so it was less of a thought out plan and more of a necessary housing situation at the time.

But here's the thing; they get on great. My original tortoise has always been around other animals as I also rehab a lot of wild animals (mostly birds) and the majority of which always find their way under his basking lamps at some point or another, as does my cat, so he's an extremely chill tortoise. I also know for a fact he is male because a couple of years ago he had a *cough cough* prepubescent period where he wouldn't stop humping his decor for a while. Funnily enough it only lasted a couple of months and he hasn't done so since for a solid 2 years.

The newer tortoise I've had for over 6 months now. The person who gave him to me said they were a girl, but I'm honestly convinced he's a lad. Has a very concaved belly and such. Their papers list them as a 2016 hatchling, so they're about 6 now, which was when my tortoise reached his horny time. Not seeing any sort of frisky behaviour with this one though.

Obviously, both of them being male, I'm expecting something to happen eventually. You see all those videos of tortoises chasing balls and dogs and ankles across the garden to headbutt because its their territory and all that, but neither of mine have ever shown any aggression towards anything. I don't know if it's because they're too young still, or if I just lucked out with two very polite little torts.

They're not being bred, no females will ever come into the mix to set anything off. I never had any intention for a second tort either, this one was just fortunately so nice that I didn't need to immediately rehome him upon being given by a friend. So the question is, is there an estimated age period where they do start fighting, or have others had luck in which their torts have actually been able to live fine together without problems?

Probably gonna get a lot of angry people commenting, but hey ho.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi ideally you need separate enclosures which you know. Tortoise need space to roam. Are they the same species? If you share tort pics front and rear tails we can advise male or female as at that age it will be clear. Tortoise are loaners and if there are issues it will be obvious, shell bumping, sharing same space one may try to bury/cave and stop eating food. Biting is the worst and could lead to injury a d vet bills etc.... I had 3 torts together and it was blatantly obvious division was required but they were young.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What specie(s) are you asking about?

Well you did it wrong from the start of getting the second one but I understand it was the circumstances. You should have quarantined for 6 months before ever putting with your tort. FYI for the future.
As for separating them. Now. I can 99% guarantee you are missing signs of bullying. Unless you have them in a big big enclosure, yard size, with lots of site barriers, hides and feeding areas.
If they are different species then seperate now! Never put 2 different species together either. Most likely they require different care temps and humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know the obvious answers of "as soon as they start fighting", and "you shouldn't house more than one tortoise to begin with", but hear me out here.

I have two tortoises, one I had from 3 months old from a pet shop, now about 8 years old, and one more recent one I got from a rehoming situation, their documents list them as about 6 years old. I ended up popping them together as a last minute resort due to me being the literal only person this other person knew who had a tortoise, so it was less of a thought out plan and more of a necessary housing situation at the time.

But here's the thing; they get on great. My original tortoise has always been around other animals as I also rehab a lot of wild animals (mostly birds) and the majority of which always find their way under his basking lamps at some point or another, as does my cat, so he's an extremely chill tortoise. I also know for a fact he is male because a couple of years ago he had a *cough cough* prepubescent period where he wouldn't stop humping his decor for a while. Funnily enough it only lasted a couple of months and he hasn't done so since for a solid 2 years.

The newer tortoise I've had for over 6 months now. The person who gave him to me said they were a girl, but I'm honestly convinced he's a lad. Has a very concaved belly and such. Their papers list them as a 2016 hatchling, so they're about 6 now, which was when my tortoise reached his horny time. Not seeing any sort of frisky behaviour with this one though.

Obviously, both of them being male, I'm expecting something to happen eventually. You see all those videos of tortoises chasing balls and dogs and ankles across the garden to headbutt because its their territory and all that, but neither of mine have ever shown any aggression towards anything. I don't know if it's because they're too young still, or if I just lucked out with two very polite little torts.

They're not being bred, no females will ever come into the mix to set anything off. I never had any intention for a second tort either, this one was just fortunately so nice that I didn't need to immediately rehome him upon being given by a friend. So the question is, is there an estimated age period where they do start fighting, or have others had luck in which their torts have actually been able to live fine together without problems?

Probably gonna get a lot of angry people commenting, but hey ho.
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. It is bad for both of them. They do not "get on great". Because you are not seen open overt attacks, does not mean they are okay together. Do they sleep in the same area? Rest face to face? Follow each other? Sit on the food? All are signs of a tortoise that wants the other out of its territory. Subtle signs of tortoise aggression. Two tortoises is never okay. Its bad for both of them. Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs. They need to be separated ASAP.

Females will mount other tortoises and other objects to show dominance. It doesn't mean you have a male. Have you seen a penis? Does the tortoise have a long tail and concave plastron? What species are we talking about?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like the consensus of opinion is separate now. I also agree with this. As has been said, tortoises live alone and have evolved to do so. They don't live in herds or groups. This means they have a territory and don't need or want other tortoises in that territory. You have lucked out that both of yours seem to be non aggressive, but it's still stressful to each to be forced to live in the same territory.

TortoisesFLA

5 Year Member
West Coast of Florida
I had two buddies (in my profile pic) that I never saw fight or aggravate one another. Ever. Then one day I moved them both out of their enclosure to graze while cleaning. Holy wow, one was light as a feather, the other hefty. SOMEbody was running off the othe from the food. I rehomed one to a good tortoise-loving friend.

TortoisesFLA

5 Year Member
West Coast of Florida
I had two buddies (in my profile pic) that I never saw fight or aggravate one another. Ever. Then one day I moved them both out of their enclosure to graze while cleaning. Holy wow, one was light as a feather, the other hefty. SOMEbody was running off the othe from the food. I rehomed one to a good tortoise-loving friend.
(btw - before I got onto this forum)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you posted this. So many think there is nothing bad going on if they don't see the gloves come off lol
Your post proves exactly what we are constantly trying to explain.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you.
That's exactly it.
As mammals we can't always see the signs. But the stress is real.
There isn't always blood and missing limbs. But that also happens.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This reconfirms why I weight weekly as growth is logged and weight gain / loss become obvious. Glad you resolved it.