Which tortoises species to consider?

djones8623

Location (City and/or State)
Clover
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and I figured this would be a great outlet to help me do some research into getting a tortoise. I've always loved turtles/tortoises and such. I had a turtle I kept for years and years when I was a kid. I've been thinking about getting a tortoise for a while, but I'm the type of person who tries to talk myself out of getting something I want for a while, just to make sure I really want it. Anyway, a lot of months have gone by, and I still want one. So, that has led me to doing some research as to the variety that would be best for me, if there is one. My current situation is that I own the home I live in, which is settled on around 2 acres. We have a pretty nice fenced in back yard (about a quarter of an acre) and I initially thought that would be a great area for a tortoise to be happy in. I was reading up on Sulcata Tortoises and I was all into the idea of getting one of those for a while... until I read that they are literal escape artists and that they have been known to dig holes that are 30 feet long. My wife would kill me if I allowed that. Plus I can't stand the idea of a pet digging out and getting gone/run over. All that being said, I was just wondering if anybody had any recommendation on a nice larger species of tortoise that has a nice personality and is also less likely to want to dig huge holes and escape? I'm fine with some digging. My back yard is far from perfect. And I also do not mind if I end up having to bury some wire or some other obstacle around the perimeter of my fence to make certain they can't burrow out. I just can't have huge craters in my yard. Any advice?

Also, I'm wondering about the practicality of my plan in the first place. I may need my bubble burst, but I'd rather get to the reality of keeping a tortoise quickly. I Live in South Carolina. For the most part, we have a nice, warm climate. If I was to get a tortoise, I would like to keep him outside after he got some size to him. Would it be practical to build some sort of structure, similar to, say, a dog house and keep it heated during the winter months for him to stay in? I just have no idea what's best in overwintering a tortoise and what is practical.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help,

Daniel Jones

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have a leopard and 2 Hermanns. Great personalities. I am sure you will get plenty of help and you can search the forum for breeders too. This way you will get a healthy well started tortoise.

djones8623

Clover
I have a leopard and 2 Hermanns. Great personalities. I am sure you will get plenty of help and you can search the forum for breeders too. This way you will get a healthy well started tortoise.
Hey Ink,

I was actually looking at the Leopard before I posted question on the forum. I'm glad to hear they are personable. Do you have much problem out of yours trying to escape?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of my leopards are NOT personable. They close up and wait for me to leave the area before they go back to what they were doing. If you want personable, box turtles can't be beat! Box turtles are VERY interactive.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Not really. There ar e experts that can help you with an outdoor enclosure. However babies should not be outside all day.

djones8623

Clover
Not really. There ar e experts that can help you with an outdoor enclosure. However babies should not be outside all day.
I was planning on keeping him inside for a good while. Just wasn't sure how practical it was to keep a tortoise/turtle inside if they got 25+ pounds, haha. I just think it would be really neat to see a fairly decent sized one roam around and graze outside my window, but I'd like them to be fairly personable too. Well, as much as could be expected for a reptile, haha. I'm hoping to find a balance between personality, fair size, not wanting to get out all the time, etc. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too I guess.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was planning on keeping him inside for a good while. Just wasn't sure how practical it was to keep a tortoise/turtle inside if they got 25+ pounds, haha. I just think it would be really neat to see a fairly decent sized one roam around and graze outside my window, but I'd like them to be fairly personable too. Well, as much as could be expected for a reptile, haha. I'm hoping to find a balance between personality, fair size, not wanting to get out all the time, etc. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too I guess.
All tortoises need visual barriers around the bottoms of their enclosures.

Sulcatas and other burrowers don't dig out. They dig down at around a 30-40 degree angle, and usually have a turn around chamber at the bottom. They use this one tunnel to come and go. They. don't dig back up in a different direction.

Your climate is too cold for too long in winter for a tropical species to live outside year round. @turtlesteve will correct me if I'm wrong here. You'd need a substantial heated area to house one all winter.

This being the case, I'd get something small enough to live inside over winter, or one of the species that hibernate.

Here is the general care for tropical types and for temperate types:

djones8623

Clover
I DON'T THINK TORTOISES IN GENERAL ARE BEGINNER PETS. YOU'RE ON THIS WEBSITE SO YOU'RE WILL DO BETTER THAN I DID.
Haha, that's a good point. I just want to make sure that if I choose to get one, I'm not getting the most challenging one off the start. I know there is probably lots to learn and I probably will make mistakes, but I'd like to have a less temperamental/more forgiving one for a first one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in Chicago and have leopards. Very personable if you put the time in when they are little. The hands off way in my opinion is not the way. I handled mine right away every day and touched their heads, legs, feet, necks. If I ever had to take one to a vet, they would be able to easily examine them. They don't pull their heads in unless I startle them and even then they pop their heads right back out. One of mine always comes to me and has to walk over my feet.
As for winter an insulated heated shed will do just fine. For one leopard a 5 or 6 by 8 or 10 foot shed would give enough space. Go larger if you think you would like a group of them.
A heated shed will work in winter for a sulcata too. Many do it and even have pics of the sullies walking in snow.
You could even go larger rhen a sulcata if you wanted. Depends on the amount of money you can afford to build and heat a bigger shed.
With the right space, which you have and the means, money, you can do any tortoise you want.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
Haha, that's a good point. I just want to make sure that if I choose to get one, I'm not getting the most challenging one off the start. I know there is probably lots to learn and I probably will make mistakes, but I'd like to have a less temperamental/more forgiving one for a first one.
IT SEEMS BABY TORTS ALL HAVE THE SAME REQUIREMENTS. WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE REDFOOTS IS GET TO HAVE FRUIT AND CAN BE IN GROUPS

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many do it and even have pics of the sullies walking in snow.
That is true, but it doesn't mean its good for them, or that the practice should be encouraged or recommended. I can find lots of pics of baby tortoises on rabbit pellets under a red bulb and a coil bulb, or of outdoor tortoises living on sand.

I don't agree that a shed is enough room for an adult sulcata to live in for months at a time over winter. They need much more space than that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is true, but it doesn't mean its good for them, or that the practice should be encouraged or recommended. I can find lots of pics of baby tortoises on rabbit pellets under a red bulb and a coil bulb, or of outdoor tortoises living on sand.

I don't agree that a shed is enough room for an adult sulcata to live in for months at a time over winter. They need much more space than that.
Tom, many sizes of sheds available to purchase or build. Even your torts live in very cold nights, yes heated and although few, even you have said some days it's not that warm, 60's-70's and they stay inside their 4x8 box.
I'm not trying to encourage letting them out in the snow. Just pointing out that members living in much colder places then SC have large tortoises.
Now my point is also that even in CA to AZ to FL, heated spaces are needed for those cold winter nights and some days.
If a person has the room and money it all can be done in a proper good way for the tort.
The other things you mentioned, sand, pellets, coil bulb all proven bad. Red bulb, although I don't suggest using them, Yvonne always has. Not sure they are bad as much as they could be, so why use them.
Leaving a tortoise out in the cold I'm sure would result in a dead or very sick tort. However, those that have shown those pics, has never reported any problems from it and usually shows at least one pic/post a year of a short trip the tort chose to make in the snow.
I don't think SC even gets snow.
If certain tortoise shouldnt live in certain places then breeders should stop selling them to people in those areas.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I live in SC. I do not think sulcatas are a good option here. It can be done but where you are located, you’ll get 6 months outdoors at best. You will need a very large heated shed and he should only be allowed out on warm days. In mid winter you will have 2-3 weeks on end of confinement in the shed between warmer days. Spring and fall you will have to get the tortoise indoors every night, whether he wants to go in or not, even when he’s 200 lbs and it’s raining outside. Think about it. There is a reason I don’t have sulcatas even when I have been offered them for free. There are plenty of folks in SC with them, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea or they are well cared for. I mean, it can be done but it’s a LOT of work to do it right. Also, most of the sulcatas here are in the coastal plain where it’s up to 10F warmer in the winter versus your location. If you were in say Charleston or Beaufort it would be a lot more workable.

If you must have a large tortoise, get a leopard tortoise originating from South Africa. They are accustomed to being active in cool weather, and to experiencing rain in cooler weather. They will still need a heated shed in winter, but adults could be active outside in the 50s or 60s when a sulcata should be indoors.

For small tortoises there are lots of options. Redfoots are marginal here, as they like it warm year round. Ibera Greeks, hermanns, marginated tortoises are good choices for mostly outdoor living.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in SC. I do not think sulcatas are a good option here. It can be done but where you are located, you’ll get 6 months outdoors at best. You will need a very large heated shed and he should only be allowed out on warm days. In mid winter you will have 2-3 weeks on end of confinement in the shed between warmer days. Spring and fall you will have to get the tortoise indoors every night, whether he wants to go in or not, even when he’s 200 lbs and it’s raining outside. Think about it. There is a reason I don’t have sulcatas even when I have been offered them for free. There are plenty of folks in SC with them, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea or they are well cared for. I mean, it can be done but it’s a LOT of work to do it right. Also, most of the sulcatas here are in the coastal plain where it’s up to 10F warmer in the winter versus your location. If you were in say Charleston or Beaufort it would be a lot more workable.

If you must have a large tortoise, get a leopard tortoise originating from South Africa. They are accustomed to being active in cool weather, and to experiencing rain in cooler weather. They will still need a heated shed in winter, but adults could be active outside in the 50s or 60s when a sulcata should be indoors.

For small tortoises there are lots of options. Redfoots are marginal here, as they like it warm year round. Ibera Greeks, hermanns, marginated tortoises are good choices for mostly outdoor living.
You are dead wrong on the leopards being out an active in 50-60 degree temps. In fact a larger sulcata could withstand those temps better then the smaller leopards.
As for night time, all tortoises should be housed inside a shed or night box at night to protect them from any animals that may prey on them while they are sleeping.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
You are dead wrong on the leopards being out an active in 50-60 degree temps. In fact a larger sulcata could withstand those temps better then the smaller leopards.
As for night time, all tortoises should be housed inside a shed or night box at night to protect them from any animals that may prey on them while they are sleeping.
I'll have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I'll take a species that is adapted to deal with 40's and 50's in the wild, and experiences rainfall in the winter, over one that rarely gets below 80F in the wild.

I have seen reports of them being out in cool weather somewhere. If I recall, Tom has actually seen them in the wild and maybe he's got more to add.

Conditions right on the coast:
gqueberha south africa.png

Conditions inland a little bit:
queenstown south africa.png

And of course for comparison:
columbia sc.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'll have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I'll take a species that is adapted to deal with 40's and 50's in the wild, and experiences rainfall in the winter, over one that rarely gets below 80F in the wild.

I have seen reports of them being out in cool weather somewhere. If I recall, Tom has actually seen them in the wild and maybe he's got more to add.

View attachment 331070

View attachment 331069

View attachment 331071
If @Tom ever said that I would be shocked. Never ever lower then 80 recommended.
I sure hope no one thinks a leopard can live out in those temps. I can 99% guarantee its going to get sick.
One night might be okay. More then that and you will be getting a sick tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

View attachment 331070

View attachment 331069

View attachment 331071
Btw, do you have leopards?
I do and if they find a cool spot, nowhere near 50 or 60, either in the shed or in the yard, they are not active, quite the opposite.
In fact this time of year when the nights are too cold to let them stay outside too late, I have to dig thru the weeds to find them cuz they are hunkered down for the night, even though it's still daylight.