When People stop buying wild caught stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Some day, I hope! Maybe we will not have to read and respond to the same exact situation endlessly :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't understand. Are you saying that you hope there will be more folks breeding and selling Stars? Or that the questions here on the forum are because people are buying wild caught animals that don't acclimate to being captured? What prompted your statement?

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emysemys said:
I don't understand. Are you saying that you hope there will be more folks breeding and selling Stars? Or that the questions here on the forum are because people are buying wild caught animals that don't acclimate to being captured? What prompted your statement?

I believe what he is trying to say is there are so many people buying wild caught Stars that we could almost create the same answer for anyone that posts as a 'new' Star owner and it would read something like this:

"Please have a fecal done as your Star more than likely has parasites and have them treated as soon as possible, this is probably the cause for their inactivity, lethargy, not eating, etc."

OR

"Sorry it sounds like your Star is too far gone to help"

Most people that have posted previously have wild caught Stars and have the exact same issues healthwise (have a look under the Star section) and that is just a tip off the iceberg.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
elegans said:
Some day, I hope! Maybe we will not have to read and respond to the same exact situation endlessly :(

A lot of Star owners here in this forum live in Asia, where it's so hard to find a c.b. So can't blame them for buying w.c. as c.b. supply barely exists. In the US it's a little different - anyone with money can go to kingsnake and buy a cb Star as supply is relatively high.

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
agiletorts said:
elegans said:

A lot of Star owners here in this forum live in Asia, where it's so hard to find a c.b. So can't blame them for buying w.c. as c.b. supply barely exists. In the US it's a little different - anyone with money can go to kingsnake and buy a cb Star as supply is relatively high.

agree with you.. if there so many stars C.B, i think everyone will choose to buy C.B than W.C.
not all stars owner know how to breeding stars tortoise, or able to breeding them..

samstar

5 Year Member
agiletorts said:
elegans said:

Exactly.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would buy some confiscated wild caught burmese stars legally any day if given the chance.

8P

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Not really quite true. Many of the CB stars sold on Kingsnake are actually smuggled WC from India and Pakistan, sadly. Or laundered animals from the "giant" fantasy star breeding facility in the UAE or the Czech Republic. I would guess that less than half of the stars sold in the US are actually CBB. It is just sad to see the same thing happen over and over and over again, with all of the same problems and heartache.

Starry night

5 Year Member
I would have to agree with ELEGANS.I myself have purchased some stars here in the U.S. and have had some problems with them. The first Sri Lankan I got from JWI was so infested with parasites that the vet said he had never in his career seen any reptile with that heavy of a load. Amazingly the animal survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.