when can i put them in the same enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have two redfoots, named Ophelia and Dehlia, it getting tough because Ophelia is getting bigger and needs more space, but heres the problem Dehlia is half her size. I am wondering if it would be safe for me to take out the wall in the enclosure and put the two of them together? Ophelia has shown a little aggression towards Dehlia but i never really gave it a chance.

below is the size difference
DSCN1505.jpg

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
thank you! Dehlia the smaller one, has a little pyramiding from the pet store, but im doing my best :)

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Well - there are at least two reasons for quaranteening:

1) Different torts from different places have different illnesses. We always have a new tort in quaranteen for at least a month - and if it is anything other than 'full of beans' and 'eating like a pig' we wait longer.
2) Difficutly of constructing a 'safe' environment for smaller tortoises (the water dish in our big pen would be enough to drown our smallest two) - there is also the 'bullying' question

In our big pen the different from smallest to largest is about the same as the two tortoises you show there (and we have three in between). That said our largest tortoise is our most placid; and the smallest is our most aggressive. In fact the smallest is the ONLY one that dares to try to take food from the largest.

Our 3rd largest was a biter (he is the only one ever to initiate biting) - he finally provoked our big female into bulldozing him out of the burrow and across the pen - no problems since.

When we introduce to the herd from quaranteen we usually introduce them to the pen first (with the herd in their overnight quarters) - then for a couple of hours each day with the herd for a couple of days - then finally they join the herd full time.

However - there IS a clear 'pecking' order - when we feed treats we split them up so there is no line of sight - that way they get to eat in peace. It is a personal decision - to me - as long as none of them is being hurt - the fact that they are 'rubbing along' in a herd is ok.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
well Dehlia has been separated from Ophelia for half a year now, so i know its safe for her and Ophelia to put them together, im just worried about the agression, and i think i would keep both water dishes in there because i know it would be the easiest way. also, should i be making sure Dehlia the smaller one eats? because i am worried about this because she is so young, and also the aggression is a big thing for me lol, i dont want my baby to be getting bullied. Ophelia couldnt kill or harm her could she?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I say just slowly introduce them and just watch them each time you place them together and I am sure you will know soon enough if they will be fine together or not.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
okay thank you for the advice, the one thing ive noticed is that Ophelia gets right up in Dehlia's face

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
ive had Ophelia for two years now and Dehlia less than a year, I beleive that they are both females, but then again i am unsure, i think that their cherry heads but i dont know( never asked, but i could post a photo) and i put them together before and I just felt that Ophelia was crowding Dehlia ... but maybe im just worried too much, one time i thought Ophelia tried to bite Dehlia's leg but i havent given them alot of chances to be alone together because im a worried mom

if you want pics i can post some

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd say try it out when you have a day off to see how they interact. If things are going poorly at first, give them a little time, if it persists pull the plug. With my two hatchlings (cherryheads), the smaller of the two is also most aggressive. I hope it works out for you!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm going to go a slightly different direction here.

I don't think it is as much about size, as it is about space and resources.

If there is plenty of space, multiple hides, good basking sites, etc. as well as some things to break up the 'line of sight' in at least part of the habitat, then there will not likely be any problems.

When the bigger one feels that the smaller one is getting in its way, it will demonstrate dominance, and space and multiple good options prevents this.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
okay thank you Madkins, I think im gonna give it a go and see how it all goes because i have this afternoon and tmrw off. so im gonna take out the wall put in alot of plants and hope for the best. i think OPhelia is more interested in her, but im so afraid somethings going to happen i never give it much of a chance to do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.