heat stroke??

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
So the last few times I've taken my largest tortoise out, Ophelia, she starts bubbling at the mouth... I have them in the shade and its not any hotter outside than it would be in their enclosure. She seems fine when i bring her indoors and put her back she calms down and the bubbling at her mouth will stop. Weird thing is Dehlia wont do this and hasnt, my question is does OPhelia need to go to the vet? Am i doing something wrong?

Now currently, i just read that this can be from a heat stroke, and that she could die from this? is there anything that i should be doing to prevent any further damage, this is the second time it had happened to her. should i lower temps in her enlcosure?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Even though she is in a shaded area, could this also be from exhaustion? I'm only saying because I once noticed it while my sulcata took of 'running' down the street. I let him go to get some exercise but once he got tired, I noticed a bubble from his mouth. I put him back inside, gave him a soak and warmed him up. Never happened again.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
im not really sure, this is the second time it has happened so i just didnt know what was really going on

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
what I mean is, is she very active while she is outside? walking around a lot?

But of course, just to be safe I'd have her checked out unless someone here has better info!

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
ALL THE TIME. but the last time that this happened she wasnt at all, although, the last time was worse

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Once a tortoise has a heat stroke it is extremely easy for it to happen the next time. Make sure to keep her very hydrated.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
can someone explain it to me, i really dont understand. it was the same temp outside as it was inside, so can she get a heat stroke inside as well? and i did keep her sprayed down too....must be that wasnt good enough?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
The ambient air temp might be the same, but if the sun is beating down on her that's a different matter. Ground temps can be up to 50+ degrees hotter than the air. What is the outside temps for you right now? Where are you located?

Does she have access to shade and cool? Is she possibly eating something that is causing the bubbling? Are you soaking them often?

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i live in corning NY so it gets warm here but not like crazzy, she has access to the shade and a pool all the time, sometimes she eats the grass but i cant see that causing the bubbling? i dont soak them myself...should i do that like every so often??

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
How old are they? I try to soak my older Russian 1-2 times a week and my babies 1-2 a day. They all always have access to water, but soaking them doesn't hurt anything and ensures they are hydrated. I would definitely give both a real good soaking ASAP.

It can also be an allergic reaction or contact with toxins. Anything new in the enclosure, new food, new supplements, new routine?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, I hope it isn't anything serious. Not like heat stroke isn't anything serious. I am wondering about the allergic reaction thing.. Keep up posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.