What's with her tail????? Pls Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlovlevis

5 Year Member
:)
Hi, this is Oogway, 5 month-old sulcata, has been 1 month in my place.
She is very healthy and always wander around in her enclosure, never stop eating, and loves her warm soaking everyday. The pen is kept at 80-humidity, with UV light, heating lamp, and once every other day sunlight (if it's not raining). My question is what is that in her tail? is it her bone? mold? i have no idea, (the black kinda burnt section is just dried Betadene I gave her ever since I saw this thing). Also does she develop pyramiding? I'm just paranoid

Your help for this newbie help would be graciously appreciated!:D
DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the white tip.. did she injure it? did something bite it? Id keep an eye on it and keep it clean.. get some triple antibiotic cream to put on it.

kevlovlevis

5 Year Member
it's not going anywhere and it's been there for 3 days...
when i got her, her tail was "sharp" not blunt like that. YKWIM

kevlovlevis

5 Year Member
Laura said:
the white tip.. did she injure it? did something bite it? Id keep an eye on it and keep it clean.. get some triple antibiotic cream to put on it.

honestly, i have no idea, she is alone in her pen, no bugs are in my house for sure, i gave her betadene for three days,just want to know if this thing happens often

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe it was injured before you got her and the skin sloughed off...??
keep an eye on it.. do the ointment..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Laura's advice.

I've never seen that before. Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get infected. I wouldn't keep using betadine. Its good to disinfect with once, but it damages new tissue, if you keep using it.

You do, or did have the very beginning of some pyramiding there, but your current set up should halt it there. Are you spraying the shell 3-4 times a day? Humid hide box? Water bowl for drinking and soaking? Where are you and what substrate are you using?

kevlovlevis

5 Year Member
i'll do it, asap.
I got it from Greg Knoell, a guy from Arizona, and he is a good breeder.
I do everything you said in the other threads Tom, so the pyramiding should stop
I am in Indiana and i use wet cypress mulch

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kevlovlevis:

Welcome to the forum!! Is your name Kevin?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have seen that before, or something very similar. Looks like the end of the tail has the tip just rubbed off. The skin grew back fine in time. We could not determine if it was rubbed off or another hatchlings took a small bite at it and caused the damage. Our experience was also with a hatchling sulcata.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think I know! I had the something that looks and sounds the same happen to my tort...the very pointy end of the tip of the tail fell off. My vet saw him a month or so before it happened, and warned me it would (the tip was a darker color and looked more dried out). She said it was caused by high heat and low humidity. I think it was during a heat wave we had here, when we couldn't get our house temperature below 85/90 for a few days! I turned off his lights, but it was still very very hot for him (no a/c here in the PNW). Apparently the heat and low humidity can do that...just those few days of it for us. Just ensure it doesn't have any signs of infection, but I'd just leave it alone. Double check your temp gradient and humidity though (which you should repeat check every 1-2 days). The event that triggered it could be months before it actually happened (I think for us, there was maybe 5 months in between?). Maybe this is more common in hatchling that have that very small tip of the tail? My tort was about 1.5 years when it fell off, and about 1 year when we had the heat wave.

kevlovlevis

5 Year Member
it looks like a gristle, i didn't touch it, just gonna wait until the skin grows back, she is healthy and it doesn't seem like it bother her anyway. Me and Greg already talked about this! THANKS TOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.