Problem with my sulcata's mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcyBini

5 Year Member
DSC_0021.JPGDSC_0017.JPGMy name is Marcy and i am very new to this forum so please bare with me while I try to figure this out. I have a 6 1/2 yr old sulcata and she is my favorite pet, but she is having problems with her mouth. Her beak was over grown and starting to split. So I looked up some info and found out that she should be eating off of slate to help her beak grind down. So I did that and she has been eating off of the slate and her beak has gone down some but now her mouth is turning black. I do not understand what is going on with her, she runs around the back yard all day and sleeps under the shed. She has seemed fine up until this last month. She has been growing and eating very well. I live in Montgomery,Al and have yet to find a Vet that deals with Tortoises. If anyone has any idea what this is or could be and what I should do to help her I would really appreciate it. I have attached a photo so you can see for yourself.
Thanks so much,
Marcy

Last edited by a moderator:

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Is she still able to open and close her mouth properly? Also can you post up a picture of the whole animal.

MarcyBini

5 Year Member
Livingstone said:
Is she still able to open and close her mouth properly? Also can you post up a picture of the whole animal.

Yes she can open and close her mouth just fine, she has been outside on her rock eating for about 20 mins now and she seems to be doing just fine.DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you could get a closer pic of her mouth I could say better, but I think she may just be eating her own poop, which is normal.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
What color is the piece of slate that she is eating off of?Also, does she seem to be eating okay? This may sound funny but i re-built my sulcatas outdoor enclosure this last month and i noticed the top of his nose turning blackish/grey. It turns out he has been sticking his nose through the fence and the protective oil on wire rubbed off on his nose! Also, have you noticed if her beak is softer than normal?

MarcyBini

5 Year Member
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
What color is the piece of slate that she is eating off of?Also, does she seem to be eating okay? This may sound funny but i re-built my sulcatas outdoor enclosure this last month and i noticed the top of his nose turning blackish/grey. It turns out he has been sticking his nose through the fence and the protective oil on wire rubbed off on his nose! Also, have you noticed if her beak is softer than normal?

The slate that she is eating off of is grey and she seems to be eating really well. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. No i haven't notice her if her beak seems to be softer than normal, she tries not to let me touch her mouth at all plus she is huge and I dont want her to bite me, LOL. I will check it out though.
Thanks

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yeah! When the torts aren't feeding off the growing grass, I feed all supplemental foods on a concrete slab!

MarcyBini

5 Year Member
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
by the way, she is a very pretty tortoise!

Thank you, I try to take very good care of her and she eats like a queen.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I also see an underbite. Do you give her cuttlebone? That helps trim the beak. When I got Lana her beak was overgrone and I used a dog nail file and filed a little every day. I would stop when she seemed to be getting pissed at me.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
What a pretty girl! I only have Mortimer to relate to and he didn't have any issues with overgrowth of his beak--- but from time to time his "mouth" would take on that dark coloring I see in your pictures. I found it wasn't from eating poop, but was from eating some "greens" that may have been gushier or less crisp---leaving a bit of a "stain". I would take a warmish wash cloth[while he was soaking] and gently "soak-off" the coloring. You'll know when to stop--and then just repeat at another time. If nothing comes off---then a trip to the Vet may be in order even if it's just to get the over-growth taken care of and then the "eating stone" and cuttlebone will help to maintain. JMO

MarcyBini

5 Year Member
Annieski said:
What a pretty girl! I only have Mortimer to relate to and he didn't have any issues with overgrowth of his beak--- but from time to time his "mouth" would take on that dark coloring I see in your pictures. I found it wasn't from eating poop, but was from eating some "greens" that may have been gushier or less crisp---leaving a bit of a "stain". I would take a warmish wash cloth[while he was soaking] and gently "soak-off" the coloring. You'll know when to stop--and then just repeat at another time. If nothing comes off---then a trip to the Vet may be in order even if it's just to get the over-growth taken care of and then the "eating stone" and cuttlebone will help to maintain. JMO

Thank you for your advice, I will try to clean it tomorrow when she comes out and see if that works. It just freaked me out because she has been in the yard for the last year, well when its warm outside and I have never seen this color around her mouth, but what you said makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.