what's up with mazuri???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I see that many ppl on the forum love mazuri, but when I read the ingredients it seems like there's a lot of protein in it. I got Franklin some Zoomed grassland tortoise diet that is made up of all kinds of tummy things he likes, and it says it doesn't cause pyramiding. But, he doesn't like to eat it...I mean he will, but he isn't gobbling it up or anything. I was hoping it would help add variety to his diet. I will remain reluctant to get the mazuri, that is, until someone would be so kind as to tell me that it's safe for my sully and meets his nutritional requirements. Thanks!!!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
My tortoise won't eat the Zoomed tortoise diet either. Only when I mix it with Mazuri does it get eaten. But, almost anything I mix with Mazuri will get eaten. The Zoomed product looks more like what a tortoise chow should look like, compared to Mazuri that is. I seldom feed my tortoise just Mazuri. Usually it will have greens or grass added in, or at least some multivitamins/calcium.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
According to the manufacturer there is 15% +/- protein in Mazuri. But keep in mind that all tortoises require protein in their diet and do consume plants in the wild that contain protein. The level and frequency of protein requirement varies among species and at different developmental stages of their growth. Where it becomes a concern is when the amount of consumption exceeds the required need. There is no concrete percentage that can be applied per species, per growth rate or age of the animal. Most keepers prefer to take the cautious approach and feed foods known to be low in protein. Mazuri is considered by most to be a supplement to a staple diet of good quality, varied greens. Not as a daily food. ZooMed's claim to not cause pyramiding is more a sales gimmick than it is a confirmed fact. Mazuri and others probably do not cause pyramiding either. But excessive protein, as well as other factors my be contributing causes to protein when certain husbandry practices are lacking. The most prominent negative practice being lack of proper hydration.

Below is comparison information directly from the manufacturers sites:

Protein Fat Fiber Calcium Phosphorus

Mazuri 15%+/- 3%+ 18%+ .95-1.45% .60%+

Marion Red Sticks 23%+/- 6.5%+ 10% ? ?

ZooMed Grassland 9%- 2%- 26%+ .9-1.3% .4%-

ZooMed Forest 13%- 2%- 23%+ 1.3%+ .4%-

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would say it is perfectly safe if fed with a varied diet. If you want to add the longstem of the grassland to the mazuri just mix the two up (look up Livingstone) Thats a member on here that fed his tort the mazuri and grassland mix. he is a very healty and smooth tort.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
if i remember correctly, a while back there was a similar post and someone mentioned that they knew someone else that fed their tort an all mazuri diet and he's been doing fine for years. but, as stated before mazuri as part of a mixed diet is best. I feed it to my tort three times a week and sometimes every day if the weather isn't good. he loves stuff and I haven't had any issues.

Hardway

5 Year Member
I think the only reason people feed mazuri is to make their tortoise grow faster. Am I right ? What other reason is there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GB laid it out very eloquently. Nothing to add to that.

I have been feeding Mazuri to all of my Leopards and sulcatas for around two years now. Nothing but good to report. I use the ZooMed stuff to mix with any grocery store greens and I like it. Makes me feel a little better about the store bought stuff.

The "protein causes pyramiding" myth should have gone right out the window with the "keep your baby sulcata hot and dry since they are from the desert" myth.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I don't feed my tortoises Mazuri for them to grow fast, and I have seen other tortoises on this forum who wasn't being feed Mazuri actually grow faster than mine. For me it's an extra item I can use to provide some variety...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hardway said:
I think the only reason people feed mazuri is to make their tortoise grow faster. Am I right ? What other reason is there?

No, most of us use it as a supplement to ensure that the tortoises are getting all the nutrients they require. I like to get them used to eating Mazuri or grass hay so that when weeds and grasses are in short supply I have something else that they will eat.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Tom said:

I have been feeding Mazuri to all of my Leopards and sulcatas for around two years now. Nothing but good to report. I use the ZooMed stuff to mix with any grocery store greens and I like it. Makes me feel a little better about the store bought stuff.

The "protein causes pyramiding" myth should have gone right out the window with the "keep your baby sulcata hot and dry since they are from the desert" myth.

I also mix the zoomed mix in with greens and he's actually eating it a lot more more. Frank get a very varried :) diet. He eats grass from the lawn now, but my next investment is ordering him some grass mix to grow from sulcataseeds.com and some prickly pear cactus pads. Feeding him is part of the fun of raising him, I love it!

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm feeding Mazuri as well but not to obtain fast growth, rather to
provide a varied diet.
My leopards also get Zoo Med grassland and I'm so proud of them
they eat it dry.
Up here in Canada it's a real challenge to feed properly and
occasionally life gets in the way of our precious friends so that's
why I like to have these prepared diets on hand.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
i feed mazuri to my red foots and sulcatas as part of there diet. they get greens ans once or twice a week they get mazuri

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Hardway said:

I don't think you will find one posting on this forum making this claim, at least by anyone that is utilizing the product. Power feeding for fast growth is a common practice in many raising snakes, it's probably not the healthiest thing for the animal so you will not find it recommended here.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I just recently started giving Willie muzuri, he loves it, I have to soak it before he will eat it. I only feed he a hand full 2 x a week right now just because it's winter and because he has never had it so I'm starting slow.. Soaking it w warm water and adding it o some orchard grass is like birthday cake for him....

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I have never heard that it makes them grow faster.

WalkingRock likes his dry....NEVER wet! and it is just an all around good suppliment to his diet!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Feed it daily with greens, and sometimes a lil calcium. Have been since he was a lil fellow.
****The key is to make sure you give nice warm baths every morning, and at least 50% humidity.

livingstonebasking.gif

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Tom said:

I wanted to tell you that it also days on the zoomed bottle pyramiding may also be caused by low humidity....progress maybe?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I started off feeding greens, aloe and cactus! Then, about three years ago, I discovered Mazuri...went with that for a little while then I found Zoo Med Grassland...went with that exclusively for about a year (for all the reasons mentioned...natural food items, NO pyramiding)...didn't get the desired results. So, I started using combinations...i.e. lasagnes (mixing all food items thoroughly, so they couldn't pick out the good stuff). In the last 8 months, I've dropped Zoo Med altogether...as well as dropping store bought greens. Now, I use 3/4 Mazuri, 1/4 Marion and moisten it to the consistency of peanut butter cookie batter. I then mix chopped hay into the mix and EVERYONE goes nuts. I rotate alfalfa, bermuda and timothy a month at a time! In addition, they graze all day at their leisure and receive cactus every other day. That, and the fact that I use no supplements...but I do grind up a cuttlebone or two every week and mix it in with their lasagne (or meatball...which is my current thing). I also leave a whole cuttlebone (or two) in the yard...so they can munch as they wish.

Let me disspell a couple of rumors! No diet can totally eliminate pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by various things...little to no humidity, little or no access to water (drinking, not misting...which I now believe is less necessary than originally thought). I also believe that inadequate exposure to sunlight and relying too much on artificial lighting plays a significant role in pyramiding and MBD.

I think Zoo Med's claim that their diet causes NO PYRAMIDING is reckless...to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.