Is Bogart too small??

Bogie=babyDINO

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I got him off craigslist when he was a month old and he was very dry. I've done everything I can to keep him hydrated, humid and eating a variety of weeds, grasses, leafs from sully safe plants and zoo-med grassland tort food. 2 weeks ago I decided to throw some Mazuri into his diet twice a week. Maybe he isn't getting enough protein. He is now 5 months old and weights 72g as of today. I think the Mazuri is finally getting his shell to grow but It could be my eyes playing tricks on me. Let me know if you think he is underweight or if you have any tips!

IMG_9011.JPG IMG_8917.JPG IMG_8085.PNG

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
They all grow at their own pace. As long as he is gaining, it is ok. Dry start babies are often slow to start. Keep him Warm and hydrated, and continue with a wide variety of good food.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I have two 7month old siblings. One is 60 grams and the other is 160. Honestly as long as it's eating and is acting healthy and you are doing all the correct things....then don't worry. I drove my self crazy about it for a second too. But the lil guy is happy

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
On the opposite end of the spectrum, my 4.5 month old redfoot is 97g. I'm a bit afraid he's an aldabra wearing a redfoot costume!

But as everyone says, there's really no formula. As long as they're growing, eating, and active, try not to worry too much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is small for his age, but the dry started ones typically grow very slowly.

Just offer the correct African rainy season conditions, and in time all should be okay. That he/she made past 50 grams is a very good sign. The ones that are not going to make it usually stall around 50 grams and just don't grow after that point.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I have two 7month old siblings. One is 60 grams and the other is 160. Honestly as long as it's eating and is acting healthy and you are doing all the correct things....then don't worry. I drove my self crazy about it for a second too. But the lil guy is happy
Oh good! Yeah I keep questioning everything I'm doing, checking temps constantly, changing diet up, 3 soaks daily, exercise daily, checking humidity etc. I just love my little guy so much. Never thought Id obsess so much and be part of a tortoise forum lol. But yes, he is eating and very curious and active. Guess we just have some late bloomers ;)

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
I have 3 babies. Dozer is 10 weeks old, Mack 9 weeks old (in 2 days) and Tank 8 weeks old. They all grow at different rates, and the rates vary from week to week too. Some weeks we have 30% gains, other weeks it can be as low as a 2% gain. I weigh them after soaking, and usually they pee & poo in the water, but not always. They are all housed separately, and I follow Tom's care sheets as much as possible. They get a variety of grasses and weeds, spring mix, mazuri LS (they don't like, so I soak it and crumble it in their food) and they love T-Rex tortoise food (I only give it once a week though). They get taken outside once a day for sunshine and grazing. Below you will find a photo of the growth chart I keep for my torts. You will see how variable their growth can be. I wouldn't worry too much about your tort, just make sure he has plenty of food available. I change my torts food 3x a day, and if they are begging I give them more! They are spoiled, but just like kids going through growth spurts, they need more when they are growing fast! tort growth.png

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I have 3 babies. Dozer is 10 weeks old, Mack 9 weeks old (in 2 days) and Tank 8 weeks old. They all grow at different rates, and the rates vary from week to week too. Some weeks we have 30% gains, other weeks it can be as low as a 2% gain. I weigh them after soaking, and usually they pee & poo in the water, but not always. They are all housed separately, and I follow Tom's care sheets as much as possible. They get a variety of grasses and weeds, spring mix, mazuri LS (they don't like, so I soak it and crumble it in their food) and they love T-Rex tortoise food (I only give it once a week though). They get taken outside once a day for sunshine and grazing. Below you will find a photo of the growth chart I keep for my torts. You will see how variable their growth can be. I wouldn't worry too much about your tort, just make sure he has plenty of food available. I change my torts food 3x a day, and if they are begging I give them more! They are spoiled, but just like kids going through growth spurts, they need more when they are growing fast! View attachment 146754
Thanks! Yeah I started him on mazuri a couples weeks ago to see if maybe he needs more protein and it looks like he is growing a bit faster now. He only gets it twice a week and the rest of the week it's grass, hibiscus leaves, rose leaves, grape leaves, prickly pear, aloe, tuxedo clover mix, and zoo meds grassland food. He has a good diet he gets picky and wants only want he wants. I follow Toms care sheet too. I would expect him to eat more but he seems to be full. Thanks for the advise. I like your growth chart!

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
Great mixed diet. I dont have access to all those plants, so mine get spring mix. They like it.