What's this? Identity crisis.

ActionCatt

20150205_144956.jpg 20150205_141041.jpg 20150205_144956.jpg 20150205_141041.jpg Hi guys. Brand new user here, although I've lurked this forum all day in hopes of finding a problem similar to mine, to the point of giving up and getting a headache.

So. A neighbor is moving out and she came by asking if I want her pet tortoise. I've kept turtles before and she would come over and watch them swim. I wasn't aware that she had a tortoise herself. So I say sure, and she hands over the box and says she isn't sure what kind it is, but it eats grass and mostly green stuff. And then she leaves. So.. Please if someone could help identify this rather large little guy/girl? Thank you all in advance.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You're in California aren't you . Desert tortoise thats what you got . Lets hit up the forum glue @ Yvonne for care information .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Gopher tortoise, aka desert tortoise.

ActionCatt

Yup California. She also wasn't sure of its age.. Oh I was hoping it wouldn't be one of those sulcata tortoises, they are freakishly huge.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did she give you any papers with the tort? I ask because you need a permit to keep them . But @yvonne is the one that can help you with all the information you will need . By the way welcome to TFO!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Dom't worry them about laws and permits, the permits are free avaiable from the cttc, and no law against keeping them. oh an being first doesn't count with mods. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Catt, and welcome to the forum!

Your tortoise isn't quite full grown. He may get about 4 or 5 more inches longer (in a straight line front to back).

You can contact any of the chapters of California Turtle & Tortoise club for the papers to register your tortoise, and like david said, it's free.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
See David if you was like Jacqui she would've moved my post down one . Haha I'm not up on the laws on keeping California torts so just put it out there . If the first owner had papers do they go with the tort or does new owner have to do it again? If they have to get new papers then how do the wild life office keep up with the numbers of tortoises?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the Forum...It is a nice looking torts you have over there!! ! !!

Congrats! ! ! ! !

ActionCatt

Sweet! Thanks guys.
No she didn't give me anything to go with the tortoise, literally just a cardboard box and a carrot. Carrot..?!

Good to know it's not fully grown yet, but won't grow into a giant. I guess if you all unanimously agree that it a desert tortoise, off I go to Google its lifespan and all the other things I need to know, like hibernation, food preferences, habitat, etc. I used to have a tortoise as a kid but it ran away. The joke's on me lol

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Sweet! Thanks guys.
No she didn't give me anything to go with the tortoise, literally just a cardboard box and a carrot. Carrot..?!

Good to know it's not fully grown yet, but won't grow into a giant. I guess if you all unanimously agree that it a desert tortoise, off I go to Google its lifespan and all the other things I need to know, like hibernation, food preferences, habitat, etc. I used to have a tortoise as a kid but it ran away. The joke's on me lol
Enjoy :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You don't need to do a Google search . Thats what TFO does best . Just ask the questions and we will tell you the answers . Google is full of bad information .

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
They average 80 years or so life span.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If I'm not mistaken care is like a sulcata . Right? I don't keep these guys so haven't studied up on them . @yvonne you have a care sheet?

ActionCatt

So, is he/she/it going to wanna hibernate?? Also, I heard something about bathing it, if so, how often?
I'll take a picture of its tail later and see if you guys could help figure out if it's a male or a female