Whats the best tortoise for me?

Leopardtortoise07

Location (City and/or State)
San DIego, CA
Hey guys! I've done lots of research but also have been wanting to hear more opinions on what is the best torotise for me. My name is Ricky and i live in Southern California. I want a torotise the doesnt grow too small. Ive been looking at leopards and yellowfoots recently and really like them. i also :D have a good sized backyard and will also be making a indoor inclosure. so what torotise do you guys think is the best for me and why? :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In Southern California, you can probably house any species of tortoise you want to without too much trouble. If you like the leopards, they will do nicely in SoCal. A yellowfoot might need quite a bit of added water, so a well-planted back yard would suit him just fine.

My leopard yard is open with one tree on the east side but grass over the whole yard.

My yellowfoot tortoises live in a rain forest type environment, with so many trees and shrubs all over the place that I can't go in there standing upright. I have to crouch over to find them. And there is an overhead drip/sprinkler system in place to keep it moist and humid in there.

Whatever you decide, you can make it work.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I live in SoCal too. I keep leopards very easily here. Take a look at the different needs for both of those species and decide based on what type of care you want to offer.
Good luck! :cool:

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Whats the best tortoise for me?

Yvonne G said:
In Southern California, you can probably house any species of tortoise you want to without too much trouble.

My yellowfoot tortoises live in a rain forest type environment, with so many trees and shrubs all over the place that I can't go in there standing upright. I have to crouch over to find them. And there is an overhead drip/sprinkler system in place to keep it moist and humid in

Wow Yvonne! :D:D:D