What's the best to feed to put on weight?

TortoiseCalledZeus

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
I've had my Tort a month and he is almost one. I weighed him and used the Jackman calculation and it shows he's very underweight.

What's the best to feed so he doesn't fill up on empty food if u get what I mean?

Thanks in advance

(I won't be hibernating him regardless btw I just want to make him healthy)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of Tortoise are we talking about? Maybe upload some pictures of both your tort and the enclosure where you are keeping. What are you currently feeding?

Good luck

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent. My daughter lives in Hampshire :)

We really need to see photos of your enclosure and lighting and understand how it is kept... including knowing the temperatures generally, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum. If any of this isn’t right then your tortoise cannot eat enough.

The species have different diets, so it’s really important to know what you have too.

Some species cannot hibernate too!

TortoiseCalledZeus

Hampshire
I can't do photos til I finish work, I took him off my friends 17 year old son who changed his mind about having a tort.

He weighs 58g and is 7.5cm.. he's in a 4ft viv with orchard chip substrate a heat lamp and basking bulb on timers 13 hours a day. He burrows down and seems happy. He's eating rocket, sow thistle, cucumber, clovers, dandelion,watercress etc. He's also going in the garden when sunny so most days since I've had him.

The cool end is 25 and basking end is 31. I'm bathing him every other day. His poo seems normal and most days...what should I be doing?!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The Jackson Ratio doesn’t apply until your tortoise weighs at least 500g. Do not attempt to apply it to a baby! He has a lot of growing to do.

Temperatures seem a bit cool. Babies need a steady 28-29C ambient temperature day and night and high humidity. Directly under the basking lamp it must be 35-37C.

To achieve this you need the lid on the viv, damp substrate and a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to keep temperatures steady as the room temperature changes through the day and night.

To make the substrate damp, take all the decor out and tip water in from a jug then mix it thoroughly with your hands. Repeat until all the substrate is damp, but not wet.

You can spray with water from a plant spray bottle to slow down the drying out, but it will be necessary to repeat tipping water in every few weeks as the substrate dries.

Have you read the TFO care guides? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Testudo Care (applied to Hermann’s)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think if you've got your tort's enclosure parameters in the zone, they're eating the right foods, and you're soaking on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about packing on the weight... slow growth is the right growth for torts.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here in the U.S. we use Mazuri Tortoise Diet for that purpose. I believe people in the UK use Komodo Tortoise Diet.

TortoiseCalledZeus

Hampshire
Thanks for the links I have read the care sheets and guides already but didn't see anything about weight. I will adjust the basking light when I get in but I'm sure it only goes to 32 will have to check.

Unfortunately I didn't weigh him when I got him as I didn't think to. Was very spur of the moment when friend said her son didn't want him anymore.

I didn't realise the Jackson ratio didn't apply so that makes me feel better..is there a ratio for younger torts does anyone know?!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-weight-formula-tbmi.38420/#post-370350

My understanding is that the formula referenced in the post above was useful across numerous species and sizes... I still think it's just a general guideline, and that incremental weight gain measure from week to week (or month to month) is a better yardstick of tortoise health.

I weigh my redfoot Darwin every Monday, as a part of a weekly appraisal, to keep an eye on his overall health... I'm not looking for a specific amount of gain, just a general upwards trend over time.

Jamie

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for the links I have read the care sheets and guides already but didn't see anything about weight. I will adjust the basking light when I get in but I'm sure it only goes to 32 will have to check.

Unfortunately I didn't weigh him when I got him as I didn't think to. Was very spur of the moment when friend said her son didn't want him anymore.

I didn't realise the Jackson ratio didn't apply so that makes me feel better..is there a ratio for younger torts does anyone know?!

Rather than getting stuck on formula, just judge for yourself. If your tortoise is active, eating, pooping and bright eyed then there’s nothing to worry about.

Do weigh your tortoise regularly. Try to do it at the same time of day on each occasion for consistency. Don’t forget that the weight of tiny ones like yours can be massively affected by a poop or a pee though! Once a week is plenty otherwise you’ll get neurotic. You’re looking for steady weight gain over time. Don’t panic if he stalls. Some torts grow in spurts just like human children do.

And don’t think about hibernation until your little one is much bigger. Personally, I prefer not to do it until they’re over 400g

TortoiseCalledZeus

Hampshire
Ok thank you! I was pretty happy with how he was doing until I weighed him so will keep doing what I'm doing and weigh him in a week and see if there's a difference..

Thank you for everyone's input..the fact I have written everything down and no-one has gone "no no don't do that do this" makes me feel like I can't be too far off the mark!

I can keep my children alive no problem but this poor tort is making me worry 10 fold! [emoji2360]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes they feel light when they are dehydrated. I soak all babies of every species every single day when they are under 100 grams. Soak him for a half hour and then weigh him again. Soak daily for a few days and then see how much he gains.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
To quote @Yvonne G go low tech for best growth records. Pencil and paper- outline the the shell and add the date and weight so you can compare. Gives you whole shell growth not just from end to end or side to side. Good Luck!

TortoiseCalledZeus

Hampshire
So I've just weighed Zeus again and he has gone from 58g to 64g, I'm so relieved as I've actually weighed him daily since I posted and it never got past 60g. I'm so relieved and will just make sure I watch him closely to make sure it carries on.

He's currently free roaming around the garden and seems a happy bunny. Thank you for posting your advice to me everyone [emoji846]MVIMG_20190807_105509.jpegMVIMG_20190807_084523.jpegIMG_20190726_122944.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So I've just weighed Zeus again and he has gone from 58g to 64g, I'm so relieved as I've actually weighed him daily since I posted and it never got past 60g. I'm so relieved and will just make sure I watch him closely to make sure it carries on.

He's currently free roaming around the garden and seems a happy bunny. Thank you for posting your advice to me everyone [emoji846]View attachment 278049View attachment 278050View attachment 278051

He is very cute :)

Try to keep the weighing down to once a week for the sake of your sanity. And do it at the same time of day each for consistency; a tort’s weight varies through the day just like yours does. Straight after a morning soak is ideal as your tort will probably have just done a poop each time.

Don’t forget that a poop or a pee can make a massive difference to weight when they are very small like yours is.

At that size a daily soak is definitely recommended.

Be cautious about outside time with a tiny tort too. They chill quickly and really need the heat and humidity their enclosure provides. They’re also much more capable of escape, harder to find when lost and at risk of being picked up by a dog or fox. Once your baby grows to a 3.5kg thug like my Joe those worries are less... although even Joe induced heart failure by blending into the background and being very difficult to find.

TortoiseCalledZeus

Hampshire
Hi, I had his paperwork shoved through my door this morning and looks like it was his 1st birthday yesterday!

I've been tweaking the Viv, changing and adding bits, can't seem to find a recommended humidity though as some say 40-50 and some say 80% anyone know to recommend for a 1 year old?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi, I had his paperwork shoved through my door this morning and looks like it was his 1st birthday yesterday!

I've been tweaking the Viv, changing and adding bits, can't seem to find a recommended humidity though as some say 40-50 and some say 80% anyone know to recommend for a 1 year old?

I’d keep it high for another year

TortoiseCalledZeus

Hampshire
Yes but how much is high?! (Sorry I'm useless!)

Ps where abouts is your daughter from in Hampshire? I missed that bit when you first posted it! [emoji846]