What's in his poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland/DC
Hello all. I was hoping someone could tell me what is in my tortoise's poop. It looks like there is a worm in his poop this morning. What is this?

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    716.4 KB · Views: 83

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
can you move the worm to the side and get a closer shot?

I have two guesses ... but want to see it close up.....:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably a round worm (parasite). Parasites usually don't come out with the poop unless there is a pretty big load of them inside the tortoise.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yeah... I agree, that looks like a roundworm or at least a piece of one. I recommend bringing it to the vet, to have it identified - they will likely want to treat with fenbendazole/panacur.

ShervyBaby said:
Hello all. I was hoping someone could tell me what is in my tortoise's poop. It looks like there is a worm in his poop this morning. What is this?

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
N2TORTS said:

ahh sorry I flushed it after i took the pic

biochemnerd808 said:
Yeah... I agree, that looks like a roundworm or at least a piece of one. I recommend bringing it to the vet, to have it identified - they will likely want to treat with fenbendazole/panacur.

ShervyBaby said:

uh oh this scares me. I will call the vet tomorrow. This is the third time he has passed something like this since I got him back in May.

emysemys said:
It's probably a round worm (parasite). Parasites usually don't come out with the poop unless there is a pretty big load of them inside the tortoise.

I just called the vet. They wanted me to pay for an examination fee as well as the fecal sample fee. The exam fee was $65 and the fecal sample fee was $40. Although I am not tight with $ I opted to just bring them a sample of his poop, since I trust this forum more then the vet themselves. Meaning if you guys are telling me he has parasites, then he probably does and I dont want to pay for an examination fee to have someone tell me how to care for my tortoise(thats what this forum is for) I have an appt to take a sample of his poop on saturday at 1:00pm

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Good luck, please keep us updated! The fact that he has passed something like this multiple times is concerning, I hope you get answers, soon. Fenbendazole does treat roundworms, so once your vet confirms what it is, I bet that is what he/she will prescribe.

Our vet allows us to bring in a fecal sample without requiring an office visit. They don't prefer it that way, but they are ok with it.

ShervyBaby said:
N2TORTS said:

ahh sorry I flushed it after i took the pic

biochemnerd808 said:

ShervyBaby said:

uh oh this scares me. I will call the vet tomorrow. This is the third time he has passed something like this since I got him back in May.

emysemys said:

I just called the vet. They wanted me to pay for an examination fee as well as the fecal sample fee. The exam fee was $65 and the fecal sample fee was $40. Although I am not tight with $ I opted to just bring them a sample of his poop, since I trust this forum more then the vet themselves. Meaning if you guys are telling me he has parasites, then he probably does and I dont want to pay for an examination fee to have someone tell me how to care for my tortoise(thats what this forum is for) I have an appt to take a sample of his poop on saturday at 1:00pm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I need to send one of you guys some of my Leo's poop to have tested. It cost 99.00 vet visit on top of the 35-45 poop test. They won't let you bring in just the poop, if they have never seen the tortoise. Good luck with the test, hope he gets rid of them quickly with no problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What has your tortoise been eating for the last couple of weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.