Frank is a dirty tortoise!

kerwillard

5 Year Member
Hi Tortoise Forum!

I have a young Greek tortoise named Frank. For reasons i can't understand, he keeps walking through his poop. He spreads it all down his plastron and on the bottom of his feet. Then we have to clean him, and he hates it. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to either keep Frank away from his poop or clean him in a manner that he enjoys? He's an Ibera and it's really hard to get the poop out from between the scales on his legs, we use an old toothbrush. Any better ideas?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Um...this is completely normal tortoise behavior....I believe the best treatment would be for the human to simply turn about and walk away and let the tort be a tort :) If the tort is in an indoor enclosure, be sure to have the substrate deep enough that the tort can dig in and get dirty...they dirt will also dry up the poo and it will eventually/gradually fall away and the tort will be much happier and less stressed about he entire event...

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Do you soak him everyday? Mine poop in the water so it helps me keep there enclosure clean

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)