what type of turtle food have your turts eaten?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
A box turtle expert told me she makes a mix of some fruit/veg but adds Omega One aquatic turtle sticks that she soaks first. She said none of her turtles have ever refused it.

My turtles will not go near it. I have read a bit about Mazuri. It sounds like something i might try. i hate to keep trying things that they won't eat, but trying to give them a balanced diet. They do get earthworms and eggs, as well as whatever they dig up in the outdoor enclosure.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I could not get my boxie to eat fruit, vegs, or leaves at all. So I put all that in my food processor and cut it all up real fine. I put it in a ziplock bag and mix in unsalted tuna, egg, or chicken breast. He eats it just fine now That he doesn't have a choice :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Mine eat any fruit I put out and and all kinds of Vegs, Eggs, Worms and Dubia. I gave them Shrimp the other day and it was a huge hit, My ornates and 3 toes couldn't get enough of it.

I've tried Mazuri and turtle food and they wouldn't touch it. They won't touch any leafy greens either.

Last edited by a moderator:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
mine eat worms , minnows (a flopping minnow excites them as much as a worm) , hikari cichlid gold (moistened) , purina aquamax sportfish(moistened) frozen bil-jac dog food , cherry tomatoes , sweet potatoes or yams (cooked until soft) , bananas , strawberries , pinkie mice (you may have to start them on live ones , but they may eat frozen right away ) , and i use vionate on about everything except the dog food and fish food ........ and i've seen them eat cantaloupe , watermelon and blueberries ........

Berkeley

Mine eat Mazuri freshwater turtle chow (soaked), pinkies, earthworms and whatever inverts they may find in their enclosures, leftover mice/pinkies/small rats (that my snakes don't eat), apples, mangoes, papaya, pears, plums, peaches, nectarines, bananas, cantaloupes, honeydew, watermelon, kiwi, cooked sweet potato, figs, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, mushrooms, scrambled/hardboiled eggs, bell peppers, tomatoes, and whatever else may be in season.

The turtles love the Mazuri freshwater turtle chow. They dive right in.

--Berkeley

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I like this thread, gives me a lot more options., even though I feed a wide variety.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If you're asking about pellet type foods, I've always used reptomin aquatic sticks for mine.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
yes i was only asking about processed turtle diets. The Omega One has good ingrediets, 3 types of fish as the first 3, but my turts won't even go near it.

Turtle mom

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Hi Colleen, I have 4 Gulf Coasts that are 1 1/2 yo and I supplement their live food with commercial turtle food. They will gobble up anything I give them (Reptomin, Reptile sticks, Omega One juvenile, Hikari, and Mazuri aquatic turtle mixed with Mazuri tort food). I also have and adult GC and that one won't eat any of those foods. I read somewhere to spread strawberry or blueberry jam or processed on the food, but that didn't work. I have also put Salmon oil on it, that didn't work either.