What type of tortoise and best breeders?

Seb

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire
Hey,

I wondered if anybody has any recommendations for the best tortoises to keep in the UK? We have some space indoors for a decent-sized encolsure and a large garden that we will be using for the better months. I know mostly about Mediterranean torts but wondered if there are any other species that do well in our climate?

Also, if anybody has any good recommendations for reliable breeders that are currently active in the UK, please let me know! Really, really struggling to find any that I can trust. We're near Manchester but happy to travel for the right tort.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Greek, Russian, or Hermanns. Basically the testudo species. They are hardy enough to live outside for the summer months and small enough to accomodate indoors during the winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey,

I wondered if anybody has any recommendations for the best tortoises to keep in the UK? We have some space indoors for a decent-sized encolsure and a large garden that we will be using for the better months. I know mostly about Mediterranean torts but wondered if there are any other species that do well in our climate?

Also, if anybody has any good recommendations for reliable breeders that are currently active in the UK, please let me know! Really, really struggling to find any that I can trust. We're near Manchester but happy to travel for the right tort.

If you want something different and are able to house it indoors in a large closed chamber most of every year, then look into star tortoises, pancakes, cherry heads, elongata or forstens, or hinge backs.

Reactions: Seb

Seb

Cheshire
Thanks! Do either of you know any reputable UK-based breeders I could contact?

Seb

Cheshire
The more research I do, the more I'm leaning towards an Indian Star or Burmese Star. They look fascinating! And will hopefully make me feel better about not being able to have a sulcata ? However, there doesn't seem to be many breeders in the UK.
If you have any leads, please let me know!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The species you mention are high maintenance in the UK and perhaps not the best beginner tortoises. They won’t tolerate our climate outdoors and don’t hibernate.

The Testudo are the the most straightforward and full of character regardless of which you choose. They’re also the most easily sourced.

You can always ask a few strategic questions about how youngsters have been raised to test breeders. Any hint of raising dry or willingness to sell you a pair to keep each other company then run a mile.

The only breeder I personally would recommend on here is @Anyfoot who is near Sheffield. He raises redfoots. Again they’re a commitment. As a tropical forest species, they need a closed chamber for high humidity, don’t hibernate and they outgrow a large vivarium pretty quickly. (Take a look at the redfoot forum)

Seb

Cheshire
The species you mention are high maintenance in the UK and perhaps not the best beginner tortoises. They won’t tolerate our climate outdoors and don’t hibernate.

The Testudo are the the most straightforward and full of character regardless of which you choose. They’re also the most easily sourced.

You can always ask a few strategic questions about how youngsters have been raised to test breeders. Any hint of raising dry or willingness to sell you a pair to keep each other company then run a mile.

The only breeder I personally would recommend on here is @Anyfoot who is near Sheffield. He raises redfoots. Again they’re a commitment. As a tropical forest species, they need a closed chamber for high humidity, don’t hibernate and they outgrow a large vivarium pretty quickly. (Take a look at the redfoot forum)
Thank you! I'm concerned about red foots, just because they seem to grow pretty big - especially for an indoor enclosure. A star tort seems to need a similar setup (although different light and dietary needs) but stay a smaller, more manageable size.

I'm open to getting a testudo. We did have a hermanns but he passed away after a long illness. I think we're still a bit heartbroken and getting another hermanns feels strange. I'm also worried he wasn't started right, leading to him dying. That's why I'm desperate to get one from a really good breeder if possible. Do you recommend any testudo breeders?

If they had it over here, I'd 100% do something like tortstork and get an egg. At least then we could start them right, especially with all the info on this forum.