Best substrate for fridge brumation

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi
just looking for some recommendations for the best substrate for fridge hibernation.
I'm looking at orchid bark at 5mm to 15mm is this too big? should I be looking to try and find a finer grade?
she's a full-size spur-thighed tortoise.
Would anybody recommend repti bark?
it's all they tend to sell here, but the pet shop said that it's fine for a daily substrate but not for hibernation. They recommended soil with straw... but I'm unsure!
Any and all help appreciated

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
just looking for some recommendations for the best substrate for fridge hibernation.
I'm looking at orchid bark at 5mm to 15mm is this too big? should I be looking to try and find a finer grade?
she's a full-size spur-thighed tortoise.
Would anybody recommend repti bark?
it's all they tend to sell here, but the pet shop said that it's fine for a daily substrate but not for hibernation. They recommended soil with straw... but I'm unsure!
Any and all help appreciated
Don't listen to the pet store. Soil and straw is idiotic and a good way to kill your tortoise. There is no way to know what is in "soil" and it could be toxic or dangerous. Straw will mold in damp conditions, and that would be terrible for your tortoise to be breathing and living on for 10-16 weeks. Apparently French pet stores are just as ignorant as UK and US pet stores.

I usually use whatever substrate they are on. Repti-bark is orchid bark, and that is ideal for brumation because it can hold a little moisture and it resists mold, fungal and bacterial growth.

jasmin1

France
Don't listen to the pet store. Soil and straw is idiotic and a good way to kill your tortoise. There is no way to know what is in "soil" and it could be toxic or dangerous. Straw will mold in damp conditions, and that would be terrible for your tortoise to be breathing and living on for 10-16 weeks. Apparently French pet stores are just as ignorant as UK and US pet stores.

I usually use whatever substrate they are on. Repti-bark is orchid bark, and that is ideal for brumation because it can hold a little moisture and it resists mold, fungal and bacterial growth.
Ah nice one
Reptibark it is.
Would you recommend a little damp spray before fridge time or leave as is.
Thanks