What tortoise should I get?

Skye12345

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello, I live in England and am wondering if I should get a tortoise, and if so which one and I was hoping I could get some help. I would like an outdoors tortoise, not to picky about the size (as long as it’s not massive!. I have a medium sized garden and would like one that does not require a heat lamp, or if so one very basic. Can some tortoises live without heat lamps, because that’s what I would prefer, it would have outdoor shelter. thank you.

L

LasTortugasNinja

All tortoises in England would require some form of heat and probably uvb lighting, since England isn’t known for its Savannas or its deserts. If you are just in the mind frame of, “hmmm, I just wanna add a garden pet,” I would recommend reading up on all the species, their care, requirements and longevity. This isn’t a whim pet that will pass away in a year or two like a hamster. These live from 30 to 130 years in captivity. You gotta be in it for the long haul. Otherwise, get a plastic lawn ornament if you just want something in the garden (not meaning this as snarky, there are legitimately realistic looking garden decor.)
In my teen years, I did rehab for abandoned and unwanted reptiles. Soooooo many wanted a cute little rep in a pet store window, but not the 5ft long rabbit eating monitor lizard it would become!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! Here's something that might help:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I would recommend a Russian... I live with two and am totally captivated by their personalities and looks and hardiness.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I live in England and am wondering if I should get a tortoise, and if so which one and I was hoping I could get some help. I would like an outdoors tortoise, not to picky about the size (as long as it’s not massive!. I have a medium sized garden and would like one that does not require a heat lamp, or if so one very basic. Can some tortoises live without heat lamps, because that’s what I would prefer, it would have outdoor shelter. thank you.
Notice there are no tortoise species native to the UK. This is because the climate there isn't suitable for any species. Tortoises can survive there, but they need electrical help, and special housing accommodation for at least part of each year.

There is no species that can be put out in the garden and left on its own with no heat.