What torotoise should I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I have had may baby sulcata Waffles for a couple of weeks now. I love him dearly, he is the sweetest little guy. My husband is very concerned about his eventual size and at times I am too but I am committed to dealing with that. The guy I got Waffles from has offered to exchange him for a redfoot to help with my husband's concerns. My dilemma is, do I take the smaller redfoot and return Waffles or keep him because I already feel love for him. This is my first tortoise so I want to do what's best for my life long pal.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what is your situation? where do you live? yard?
a redfoot requires space too.. but you can house more in one place.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
I live in Ontario so winter is an unfortunate reality. I have a townhouse with a walk out basement that goes directly to our backyard. My art studio is also in the basement so I plan to make an area for the tortoise down there. That way he will have plenty of company and easy yard access. My yard isn't huge so adding a shed isn't ideal.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
I haven't considered hibernation. I guess I'm used to having year round pets.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'm inclined to think that, before you get more attached, you might consider the red-foot...a full-grown sulcata, weighing between 100 and 200#, is not going to be a happy/healthy pet living in your basement for that many months each year.

The redfoot, or some other smaller species, would be much easier to kep healthy/happy. Sulcatas are best kept in areas that are warm year-round .

kjr153

5 Year Member
You want to do what is best for the Tort. If you know that you're not going to have the room/backyard to house an adult Sulcata then I would trade it before you get too attached. They are cuties when they are small but they do not stay small for long.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
Thank you for your input everyone. I did do research before I got Waffles but this forum has opened my eyes to other issues that I wasn't aware of. I knew he would get big but I didn't know about burrowing. I don't have kids, my pets are my kids and I treat them as a life long responsibility. I want this little guy to have the best life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The burrowing of the sulcata is the reason I went for the leopard. I wanted a large tortoise. However, I could not risk the burrowing. I live in Chicago, little more summer then you have, however, I have to worry about the same winter housing for when he gets larger. If your hubby isn't for it now, he won't be for it when it's needed, and really won't be for it when he is so large he is either burrowing or destroying. I suggest seeing if the breeder will take the sully back and get you a small tort that can be more easily housed inside in the winter, like a hermanns, Russian, Greek.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
wellington said:
The burrowing of the sulcata is the reason I went for the leopard. I wanted a large tortoise. However, I could not risk the burrowing. I live in Chicago, little more summer then you have, however, I have to worry about the same winter housing for when he gets larger. If your hubby isn't for it now, he won't be for it when it's needed, and really won't be for it when he is so large he is either burrowing or destroying. I suggest seeing if the breeder will take the sully back and get you a small tort that can be more easily housed inside in the winter, like a hermanns, Russian, Greek.

I second this.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
mine dont burrow, they have houses to hide in,, so tend not too...
when your is large and living in a basement, you are going to spend a lot of money on heating and food, since there wont be a yard to graze in.. You have a few years,, but a basement is no place for a desert animal.. My opinion.. It can be done... but i dont think its fair to the animal. Again.. my opinion.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
The breeder has no problem trading but I won't see him for another few weeks. The problem is that I am getting more and more attached. Damn his cute self!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
leash_wish said:
The breeder has no problem trading but I won't see him for another few weeks. The problem is that I am getting more and more attached. Damn his cute self!

That's how it was for me, except I had "Sully" for about 5 years before I found her a new home...sustained a spinal injury that makes lifting anything over 40# a really bad idea, and she was around $35 or so, by then...

Now she lives w/ 2 other females on 3-1/2 acres, so it was the right thing for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.