What to do with the poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
Thanks Maggie, she is still small so I am not covered in it (so to speak) as some people, but I will be using it as soon as I can. I mean can't you go any greener than that?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
This whole salmonella scare always cracks me up.

Tom said:
I've got news for everyone. Salmonella is EVERYWHERE! Its on your toothbrush. Its all over the keyboard you type on. Its on your countertops and its on YOU right now!

Not only is that true, but there are over 2600 strains of salmonella. It is in the dirt in your garden, in cat, dog, and bird feces, in lakes, water, you name it.

Using tortoise poop is not going to contaminate your garden or food with salmonella. Cow manure is used as a fertilizer the world over... and there is salmonella in that too.

A couple of kids back in the day put turtles in their mouths and contracted salmonella, and now there is this big SCARE that anything with a a shell is going to give you salmonella and you will die. It is plain silly :p

Relax, people. You have survived this long, and I bet it is more likely that you would get hit by a truck than contract a deadly form of salmonella bacteria.

(I don't have a master's degree, but I took micro 101, lol.)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks everyone the info has been great. I will continue to use tort poo.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Someone should start making sulcata poop paper! They do it with elephant poop. http://www.mrelliepooh.com/
I imagine the process would be similar. And then if someone were to get the sulcata poop paper to a crafty person, they could use it to make paper mache tortoises, among other things. Or print some special edition TFO calendars on it?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Sulcatas are hindgut fermenters, just like little horses... So, horse manure is one of the only manures that perfectly composts itself. It has an ideal moisture content and a 25:1 carbon:nitrogen ratio, which means that it will compost itself without interference as long as it is protected from the elements (i.e. covered so it doesn't dry out in the sun or get soaked by rain) and not mixed with other materials, such as wood shavings.
With all manures, the ideal application method is to lightly incorporate it into the soil in fall. Overwintering takes care of the final breakdown and integration with the soil.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
samonila is a scary thing when your 5 month old gets it and has be hospitalized for 9 days.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
bsr8129 said:
samonila is a scary thing when your 5 month old gets it and has be hospitalized for 9 days.

I hate to hear that. How is your son/daughter doing now?

Do they know how it was contacted?

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hes 9 months now and is doing alright, no idea how he got it, but the turtles are now out side. Luckly they were getting too big for indoors, and all other reptiles we got rid of.

who knows if he got it from the reptiles but when its your kid, and seeing him in the hospital hooked up to IV's, you make sacrafices.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I have a professional potter friend who is interested in using dried tort turds in her firing. I'm interested to see what kind of patterns they leave behind when firing is over. Of course, I let them dry well before I pack them up to go........

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.