Turtle eats dog poo

Mindy Robinson

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello...
I have a gross question... sorry in advance if it's tmi...
I have a 3 year old sulcata, Sherman Tank. She's currently indoor at night & outside most days.
So. I pick up my dog's poo constantly. Sherman manages to find whatever I miss, and quickly begins devouring it (oh so much yuck). I know about undigested nutrients & all that as to possibly why (she is an animal), but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this? I'm concerned something is missing from her diet, or possibly something else going on?
And any advice, other than look harder for the dog poo??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its VERY common
Tortoises eat dog poop.
Dogs eat tortoise poop.
If your dog is on heart worm meds, it is critical NOT to let your tortoise eat that dogs poop.
Otherwise, just do as much as you can. Maybe dedicate a special no dogs allowed area?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They eat poop, must be something I don't get.

wccmog10

Georgia
Its VERY common
Tortoises eat dog poop.
Dogs eat tortoise poop.
If your dog is on heart worm meds, it is critical NOT to let your tortoise eat that dogs poop.
Otherwise, just do as much as you can. Maybe dedicate a special no dogs allowed area?

Shouldn’t all dogs be on heart worm medication?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello...
I have a gross question... sorry in advance if it's tmi...
I have a 3 year old sulcata, Sherman Tank. She's currently indoor at night & outside most days.
So. I pick up my dog's poo constantly. Sherman manages to find whatever I miss, and quickly begins devouring it (oh so much yuck). I know about undigested nutrients & all that as to possibly why (she is an animal), but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this? I'm concerned something is missing from her diet, or possibly something else going on?
And any advice, other than look harder for the dog poo??
Its normal tortoise behavior but also something you should prevent. The tortoise needs its own area where the dog doesn't go. And vice versa.

Michael231

California
Just to add in a little food for thought since we’re on the topic, in the wild some species of tortoise and turtle actually practice what’s called coprophagy, where the young turtles/tortoises eat the adults defecation to help establish their gut microbiome...

Sorry if this is too much...but it has proven very useful in rearing healthy Central American River turtle hatchlings in Belize!

wccmog10

Georgia
Just to add in a little food for thought since we’re on the topic, in the wild some species of tortoise and turtle actually practice what’s called coprophagy, where the young turtles/tortoises eat the adults defecation to help establish their gut microbiome...

Sorry if this is too much...but it has proven very useful in rearing healthy Central American River turtle hatchlings in Belize!

I’ve heard of this for other species as well. The ones that come to mind right now are beavers and monkey tailed skinks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

My vet has used this treatment on tortoises.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My vet has used this treatment on tortoises.

It's used with humans who have lost their gut biota due to antibiotics or chemotherapy; it makes sense so long as you have a healthy donor and the recipient can avoid getting sick(er) from the transfusion.

Jamie

Mindy Robinson

California
Thanks everyone. I'm working on a complete outdoor enclosure, I will plan for this to be completely separate from my dog's area. At least I know she's not the only one or that something isn't wrong with her.
I appreciate the info!
(and that was obviously supposed to be "Turtle" not "Title", stupid auto-correct, and now the thread won't let me change it, lol

Reactions: Tom

Boogeyman

5 Year Member
I just caught my sulcuta eating some cat poop today... they can be nasty sometimes...lol