What timer do yall recommend?

casey.sherrod25

Location (City and/or State)
Vicksburg
I have a hatchling sulcata. We had a death in the family that I posted about for traveling last week. We ended up not talking him and just finding someone to come by and turn lights on and off and mist for us. Well he didn't turn CHE on and my baby got to cold. He's still eating and moving around but I don't want to ever get caught in that predicament again. Im not tech savvy so what timers do yall recommend that's pretty easy to use. Ive already purchased an in tank humidifier for my little one as well.

Casey and jörmungandr 20180828_200127.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Those are cheap and reliable.
But I love the digital units. They cost about triple. But last and last.

To add to @ZEROPILOT's reply,

The digital ones often come with a built-in battery so the pre-set settings do not turn off when you pull the timer out of the plug. Saves the hassle of re-programming everything when you're moving the timer to a new location or when you're changing the clock for daylight savings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To add to @ZEROPILOT's reply,

The digital ones often come with a built-in battery so the pre-set settings do not turn off when you pull the timer out of the plug. Saves the hassle of re-programming everything when you're moving the timer to a new location or when you're changing the clock for daylight savings.
I don't change the time for daylight savings. Who cares if the lights come on at 6a or at 7a? It's still a 12 or 14 hour duration.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I don't change the time for daylight savings. Who cares if the lights come on at 6a or at 7a? It's still a 12 or 14 hour duration.

Not for pets. For other fixtures and other applications. For example to keep your home or rental property looking occupied when you're not there. A 7 day timer can be programmed to turn the television, stereo systems, lights, and or even looped recordings on and off at different times to make a house seem lived in. Of course you'll also need a neighbor or friend to frequently park in driveway and retrieve your paper/mail to complete the illusion.

Some people also use timers because they want their well lit and set on a particular schedule. The people that do this will usually prefer a simpler yet multi-functional timer instead of a digital one.

I factor daylight savings in when I program my indoor grow lights.