Fogger or mister....

Status
Not open for further replies.

J REED

5 Year Member
Wondering which I should use in my closed chamber. MY chamber will be in garage soon and was also kicking around the idea of a cool mist humidifier to pull the high temps down for the summer months. ..
So....
1.Reptifogger
2.monsoon mister
3.cool mist humidifier..
Let me know what yall think...
Jeremy

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have the Crane elephant cool mist humidifier and it does a wonderful job.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I couldn't use either. My humidity stays above 80 and 90% for 2 weeks without any spraying or misting.
If you really have a closed chamber I can't imagine you need one.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Fogger or mister....

Team Gomberg said:
I couldn't use either. My humidity stays above 80 and 90% for 2 weeks without any spraying or misting.
If you really have a closed chamber I can't imagine you need one.

I do have a closed chamber.like I stated gonna move it to garage and have to crack top to let some heat out so was wondering which to use to cool a small amount as well

Jeremy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure why you have to crack the top a little? Is it going to be too hot in the garage? I would remove the heat source or a heat source if you can. Lifting the top is defeating the purpose of a closed chamber. Also, a warm mist humidifier should really be used, not a cool mist.

J REED

5 Year Member

wellington said:
Not sure why you have to crack the top a little? Is it going to be too hot in the garage? I would remove the heat source or a heat source if you can. Lifting the top is defeating the purpose of a closed chamber. Also, a warm mist humidifier should really be used, not a cool mist.

I have read the cool mist takes about 5° out.yes its hot in garage..95 on cool side for 3-4 hrs...tom says that's ok but I dont really like it.and with the top cracked , I live in Alabama by the way I still maintain 65% humidity.O dont think I cam remove the nasking bulb can I ? Tjats the only heay source

Jeremy

I figured with the cool mist I co I ld bring temp down a hair

Jeremy

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You are a good example of how all enclosures still have to be tailored for each specific case.

No one is in your exact shoes which is why no one has an exact answer for you.
You have the basics, now start your tweaking (will be different from my tweaking) to get it just right. :)
Then, let us know how it goes!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heather hit the nail on the head here with both of her posts.

You shouldn't need a humidifier in a closed chamber, especially in your climate.

Your just going to have to do whatever you have to do to maintain the right conditions in your area, in your enclosure.

J REED

5 Year Member
If an enclosure gets too warm, cannyou turn off heat/baskung lamp as ling as there is fluorescent lighting? I know fluorescent lights are only for visual.........just wondering if temps are reaching 95-96° couod it (basking bulb) be turned off for those few hrs..

Jeremy

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Here is what happens with the reptifogger when the enclosure is very warm(thats what happens with mine even with a screen top for the wee guys when they hatch. It steadily climbs the index in the enclosure. Makes it warmer and much more humid. I would not use a reptifogger if your trying to cool things down. Any added moisture to warm ambient air is going to increase the level of heat/index. best bet would be to have a circulation of the room air, so it does not get stagnant. Its probably going to be a little tough in a garage. Unless you have a window or two in their.

J REED

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Here is what happens with the reptifogger when the enclosure is very warm(thats what happens with mine even with a screen top for the wee guys when they hatch. It steadily climbs the index in the enclosure. Makes it warmer and much more humid. I would not use a reptifogger if your trying to cool things down. Any added moisture to warm ambient air is going to increase the level of heat/index. best bet would be to have a circulation of the room air, so it does not get stagnant. Its probably going to be a little tough in a garage. Unless you have a window or two in their.

Thats where I read a cool mist one works well.....ill figure this all out....thanks guys...

Jeremy

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You can try it. The thing is even with adding water it will dissipate if its very warm. But if its cool, it could cause issues. Good luck. Hope something works out well for yah.

J REED

5 Year Member
So can the basking bulb b turned off for a few hours to refuve heat? I have a 4' fluorescent for regular seeing light...

Jeremy

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well UVB needs to be offered. If your referring to the 4' strip in the garage. Thats up to you. For the tort make sure to leave the uvb bulb on. In this case I would use a 10.0 tribe bulb. A MVB might be way too hot. Most T5 or T8 bulbs are only 13 watts or so, shouldn't produce much heat at all.

J REED

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Well UVB needs to be offered. If your referring to the 4' strip in the garage. Thats up to you. For the tort make sure to leave the uvb bulb on. In this case I would use a 10.0 tribe bulb. A MVB might be way too hot. Most T5 or T8 bulbs are only 13 watts or so, shouldn't produce much heat at all.

Let me re phrase that.I have a 5' enclosed chamber.I have a 4' reg fluorescent strip for lighting INSIDE the enclosure.I also have a mvb in there for basking and uvb.My tort gets outside for 4 hrs or so a week..I know he doesnt need uvb inside if he gets outside that much but he does. My question being...if mybtemps rise, and my tort gets enough uvb weekly. .......can a basking/uvb bulb be turned off 3 hrs or so a day to lower temps....

Jeremy

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah it is possible. I wouldnt do it though. That would simulate darkness and he would just go to sleep if no light was on. Even for 3 hours.

Does he have to be in the garage? Is he too big to put outside?

J REED

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Yeah it is possible. I wouldnt do it though. That would simulate darkness and he would just go to sleep if no light was on. Even for 3 hours.

Does he have to be in the garage? Is he too big to put outside?

I have a 4' fluorescent light insise enclosure........no darkness

Jeremy

J REED said:
tortadise said:

Let me re phrase that.I have a 5' enclosed chamber.I have a 4' reg fluorescent strip for lighting INSIDE the enclosure.I also have a mvb in there for basking and uvb.My tort gets outside for 4 hrs or so a week..I know he doesnt need uvb inside if he gets outside that much but he does. My question being...if mybtemps rise, and my tort gets enough uvb weekly. .......can a basking/uvb bulb be turned off 3 hrs or so a day to lower temps....

Jeremy

Please note.........if I turned mvb off for a few hours there would still be light.4' fluorescent...Alot of responses that I appreciate but seems my entire questions with info arent completely read....

Jeremy

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Why don't you just try it?

Remember you have to figure out specifics yourself. The point of a basking bulb is to have a "hot spot" for the tort to go and warm up. They wont spend 24/7 at this spot. Since you battle temps that are too warm and want to try turning the MVB off for a bit to cool temps, then try it. You still have additional lighting and your chamber wont drop to 70F by having the bulb off for 3 hours..or will it? You wont know til you try it.

You might have to move the chamber outside, then inside, then crack your top (like you suggested before) and add a humidifier, or turn a MVB off but keep it closed, etc.. until you find the right combination that works with your exact set up in your exact house/garage.

My tweaks are not going to apply to you but just so you can get an idea, here they are:
My cool end has additional lighting by using small wattage bulbs. In winter a 25watt can work. In summer I went to a 7.5 watt. Right now I'm using a 15watt. I want the extra light without heat. I didn't want to use a tube light because I like the look of 3 domes on top. It's symmetrical. My basking bulb varies from 40watt, 60 watt and occasionally a 75 watt. I always have a basking temp of 100-105F and occasionally having to switch the bulb wattage helps me achieve that. I don't switch these bulbs often. It's a seasonal thing. Make sense?
You need to start your tweaking then come here and share with us what you do and how it works.. good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.