what temps will they refuse to eat?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
I am trying to get as much good fod into them before they hibernate, but not sure at what temps they will refuse food. Does anyone know? Today was 70, but they were all hiding and didn't want to come out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They have to be able to warm up clear down to their inner core. Box turtles are better in cooler weather than most tortoises. I've seen mine out wandering in their yard early mornings when the low the previous night was clear down to 55F. I can tell you for sure that tortoises need their inner core 80-85F, but box turtles? ???

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i think it's a lot to do with the temp of the ground , it's in the upper 60's here , 65-67 degrees , in the grass pile i'm sure it's still in the 70's , if I think of it i'll put a probe in it tomorrow …decomposing grass gives off a lot of heat .. i'm sure it's getting close to them not coming out ……... I seen 4-5 adults and 3-4 young ones today , most were on top of the grass pile and didn't venture far , couple just sticking their heads out . I seen one out and about eating …….. there been lots of days over the past couple weeks I haven't seen anyone …... yesterdays high was 60 , it was 50 last night , but was 73 and sunny today …….quite a few of the adult wood turtles aren't real interested in eating , if you put it in front of them they'll eat , but their not looking for anything ……..