What species is my tortoise?

rulen24

5 Year Member
I got this tortoise because it had to be rehomed and I am keeping him a kids paddling pool with grass and a cardboard box. Sadly some time in his life someone had drilled a hole in his shell. I have bought a proper enclosure and it will arrive within a week. The people who homed him before found him in their garden and no owner was found and they had him for 5 years living outside all year under a bush. They mostly fed him fruit and hardly any vegetables with no calcium or nutrobal. They don't know what species he is or how old he is. I've fed him only fruit and a bit of lettuce with calcium since Wednesday. I do have a lot of weeds in the garden and just now I saw him eating some, so hopefully when my tortoise seed mix gets here and the weeds grow he'll eat some.
I'm making a solar can air heater for the winter during the day when it reaches - degrees in England with sun light so he doesn't freeze.
Here are some pictures:
6651ad2db23af2854fbfd44ec9476863

eb918f0def29193661fabd6c2ac402b5

66fa8cf07e04c3321c23c93048dcc926

5a3b547ce424e1f7801129e6d531b5db

02b2b67a85af644dadb1aecfb99e0ab3

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
The photos aren't loading for me!

Thank you for rescuing him! He will appreciate being cared for! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like one of the Greek tortoises:

gyazo a.jpg

(I was wrong in my I.D. @WithLisa has correctly I.D.'d the tortoise as a Hermanns)

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@rulen24 - I'm not saying this to be mean, but you're not offering this tortoise a better life if you plan to keep it in a "proper enclosure" that you've ordered. This tortoise needs to live outside. Many, many tortoise keepers in the UK keep their Greek tortoises outside. He's used to living outside "under a bush" and if you lock him up in an enclosure that you've bought, he's going to be pretty stressed.

Also, he looks a bit dehydrated (his eyes are sunken in), so when you get him, be sure to soak him in a tub of warm water for a half hour or so.

This species should not be given fruit. You can offer him a small piece once in a while as a treat, but not all the time.

Here's a care sheet for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

rulen24

5 Year Member
@Yvonne G
The enclosure is going to be outside all the time. He has full roam to a massive garden during the day as well. I will give him a bath tonight!
Thanks

rulen24

5 Year Member
@Yvonne G
Please could you have a look at these and see if they'd be good for a staple diet?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komodo-To...954190?hash=item58bfadb44e:g:k7EAAOSwqu9U73t3
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komodo-TO...hash=item3aa2a26894:m:mmU7Yyr3XBGHXnzm8Sn1jDg (which is the best out of these options?)
Should I use both or just one?
I'm also going to be growing this, but I won't have enough for staple: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361522794480?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thank you :)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Looks more like a Hermanns tortoise to me, but I would need a picture of the tail to be sure.

rulen24

5 Year Member
Looks more like a Hermanns tortoise to me, but I would need a picture of the tail to be sure.
Now that you say that, the tail looks a lot like a Hermann tail. I will go off and take a pic now of him when I find him in the shrub outside :p

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Yes, seems to be a pretty male Eastern Hermanns. :)

rulen24

5 Year Member
Yes, seems to be a pretty male Eastern Hermanns. :)
Thanks. I'll just check with Yvonne too to make sure and have a few other opinions. In the eBay listings on this thread, do you think they'd be suitable for him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the Komodo tortoise foods are good to add to his regular fresh diet.

rulen24

5 Year Member
@WithLisa and @Yvvonne G
I think I'll go:
Lettuce
Kale
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Cucumber
(Lettuce and kale mostly)
and fruit and flower Komodo food mixed with the others above (1:1) Do you think he needs dried leaf bags as well? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komodo-TO...g&clk_rvr_id=1052555063871&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true) 340g pellet of fruit and flower and dried leaf bag flavour, if so which flavour leaf bag?
If he needs no leaf bags Ill just use the fruit and flower flavour Komodo food and the veggies.
I'll also provide him with some home grown weeds :)

Thanks so much for the help!

Rue

Canada
I am not sure that is a Hermann's. ..