Can someone identify the gender and species of tortoise this is?

Tortle the Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
My family and I have kept a tortoise in our backyard that was found roaming our neighbors' backyard in mid-December 2017. He/she's been thriving and has appeared to enjoy hanging around us. He/she gets the name "Tortle" from the way my 4 year old brothers called him when we first got him. We have searched and contacted people, but it appeared that no one knew who's tortoise this was. After having him for so long we finally want to know what gender and species of tortoise this is. We're wondering if anyone can tell the gender or species by looking at a picture and if not, could they give us some tips on how to identify it.
Thank you!

IMG_0663.jpg IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0665.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Its either a Testudo hermanni or one of the Testudo graeca subspecies. Care is the same for both. Both come from a climate similar to yours too.

To know the sex we need to see the tail and anal scutes. Pick up the tortoise and point its nose to toward the sky. Take a picture of the bottom of the tortoise that shows the tail. Males have large tails and females have smaller tails.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can we please see the bottom shell? Hermanni have a black bar down each side of the bottom shell, while the Greek tortoises have an all over black pattern.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
We need to see the bottom sine to know the gender............;)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Looks like a boy from top, but the bottom is much more reliable for sexing. :p

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Testudo hermanni boettgeri (eastern Hermann’s tortoise) and would need bottom shot to confirm sex. They are a hardy and adaptive species similar in care to T. marginata and T. g. ibera (not other T. graeca subspecies though) and you can follow my care sheet pinned at the top of this forum or visit my site: www.HermanniHaven.com

Tortle the Tortoise

San Diego
Hello and thank you everyone for helping out on the species of tortoise! Here’s a picture of the bottom

Attachments

• 19C43ADE-3AB5-4817-9618-0B5D112F5523.jpeg
    19C43ADE-3AB5-4817-9618-0B5D112F5523.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53