What sort of edible plants( not seeds) could/should I be looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah

5 Year Member
So far I've been told nasturnium, violets, geraniums and 'herbs' but which herbs was not specified.
Would love to hit a few nurseries and do some planting! I never thought I would plant anything but suddenly it sounds like a lot of fun.
So far I have not seen my RT foraging and assume the small variety of weeds that stick up in their habitat are just not interesting enough.

M

Maggie Cummings

Please remember that anything you get from a nursery will have a lot of fertilizers and pesticides in them so you shouldn't feed them to your tortoises for several months. You should flush them and flush them to leach out all the bad stuff...

hannah

5 Year Member
ah, i had not even thought of that, darnit!
which reminds me, i am getting a playpen for the torts to hang out on my lawn in the mornings, we have lived here for 4 months, and we DID fertilize, no pesticides, can they go on my grass or not? and if not now, when can they?
thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
When you said you fertilized was it pelleted, liquid, or steer manure? Most fertilizers are chemicals and your torts should not be eating anything that has chemicals on it for 3 to 6 months, as most plants including grass stores them in the leaves. I use Organic fertilizers as in tortoise poo and messy water dishes or bath water. Which is better and won't hurt your torts. You can still plant just don't let your tort eat until you have flushed them out. There is a list of plants here; http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html hope this helps.

hannah

5 Year Member
Ending thread?

I think I will just buy a pound of Carolinas Russian Tort Seed Mix and do this thing right! Thanks for the info!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hanna I think that is a wise decision, can't go wrong gowing your own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.