Do I need to keep an eye out for poisonous plants?

GroovyBrent

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA
We just moved to a new home that has some existing planters that are prefect size for letting Jet (our < 1 year cherry headed red foot) roam and get some natural sunlight. However, there are some plants that I'm not sure what they are - and therefore I'm not sure if they're poisonous. I've observed Jet meandering over to one, taking a small sample and then leaving it be.

In the wild, tortoises come across all kinds of edible and non-edible plants, and I assume they are "smart" enough to avoid the ones that will kill them. However, I'd hate to lose the newest member of our family due to a stupid assumption on my part.

So the question is: do I need to be cautious about poisonous plants, or will Jet naturally avoid eating anything that would harm him?

Thanks!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great insight .....usually here is the scenario ...because we house torts from around the world , that may not have plants we have within our yards indigenous to their area , it is wise to watch for plants the may harm them as their "auto insight or lack of" of these new plants may draw curiosity and tempting enough to eat......and if a poisonous plant can/will do harm. I believe there is a list on the forum of safe/poisonous plants to help out ....or if in question ..post some pics as we have quit a few green thumbs in here as well...

JD~:shy:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The only one I'm really careful to not have around is oleander. I keep my fingers crossed that my tortoises will know what they can and can't eat. But, like JD said, if you're in doubt, we have a "Plant Identification" section where you can post pictures of your plant and we'll try to I.D. it for you.