What should I name her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I had just adopted a "female" sulcata tortoise as you've all seen in my other thread but I don't know what to name her? I was kinda hoping to stick with a Greek goddess name but don't know which one. Shes not mean per say but she does hiss at me when I get close or pick her up. She especially hates when I chase her outside like an idiot to get a picture (not that she moves that fast) lol.

Here's a pic I just took of her "on the move"!

image-806044496.png

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
HollyH8 said:
Shes not mean per say but she does hiss at me when I get close or pick her up. She especially hates when I chase her outside like an idiot to get a picture (not that she moves that fast) lol.

That is so sad how those people kept that tortoise... extremely sad. If I had been you I couldn't of helped myself from saying something to them because she obviously wasn't even paid attention to at all if she hisses at you and runs from you.
More on topic though about the name I really like the Greek name Althea , its means "healing"

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
BrinnANDGupta said:
That is so sad how those people kept that tortoise... extremely sad. If I had been you I couldn't of helped myself from saying something to them because she obviously wasn't even paid attention to at all if she hisses at you and runs from you.
More on topic though about the name I really like the Greek name Althea , its means "healing"

I'm not sure of the reason on why she hisses. She was used in a first grade classroom so I'm thinking she grew a backbone and started warning all those first graders to get away. I like Althea! It's pretty..lol. :)

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
yagyujubei said:
I have named several pets this: Medusa

Haha! I was considering it but it just didn't "fit" her..lol. :D

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
I liked everyone's name suggestions I decided to go with Hera (Zeus' wife)..Its better than "hissy" or "horny" which my mom wanted to name her, haha! :p

M

Maggie Cummings

She doesn't actually hiss, like a cat for example. If you'll pay attention, when you hear the "hiss" she is also pulling her head back into her shell and that's actually the noise you hear. It's air escaping as she pulls in her head. She is not actually hissing at all. If you'll hand feed her for a while and rub her carapace and do other things to bond with her she will stop acting so afraid of you.

But keep in mind, even tho I've just advised you to hand feed so you can bond, hand feeding is not a good idea as it leads to biting as they think your fingers are food. Bob has bitten me hard enough and caused enough bleeding my son tried to take me to the ER...I wouldn't go tho...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Name for your turtle?...greek goddess??.....how about "CALYPSO"...also the name means hider or hidden...since she tries to get away from the camera...lol!!...seems fitting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.