What should i do?

jessicasatx

For the ceramic heat emitting light will this cover work for it?ImageUploadedByTortForum1387393179.390079.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
I've read several threads on here on clamps failing. This could be a fire hazard, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable confirm/disprove it. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
jessicasatx said:
For the ceramic heat emitting light will this cover work for it?

I do not think that has a ceramic socket. The lights with ceramic sockets will usually say that they are 'brooder lights' instead of utility lights. They also usually have a higher maximum wattage.

jessicasatx

Ended up getting a dome from lowes. Gonna coat the outside with high heat black spray paint (dome says up to 150 watts
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387395468.624869.jpg
And my bulb is a 60 watt until I can get a bigger place for him

jessicasatx

Ok ladies and gents. I got most of it done except bigger habitat. Just put in the coconut substrate and have a Che light. Temp goes from about 80-90 humidity is only at about 50% but I don't have much of a plastic covering to keep it in
He seems a lot happier. What do u think?ImageUploadedByTortForum1387509161.472012.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387509176.272945.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
You are rocking it! What I would add now is just some terra cotta saucers. Maybe one for food, one for water and one upside down under the basking light, like a little stage. Check a thrift store, out here the Goodwill always have some it seems. Or Habitat for Humanity ReStore. J'adore the ReStore. They are perfect and the clay helps file their little nails. Or if you go to a place that sells granite and marble, they usually have slate also and you can get it cheap or even free if it is broken pieces and broken pieces look cool anyhow. For food and for basking. Obviously slate will not do for water.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, go and get some wheat berries. They have them in the by the pound, bag your own section. They were 1.29 a pound the other day. I plant them (and you can even use coco coir!) in the clear plastic boxes that some lettuce mixes come in, they are like little greenhouses. They sprout fast. Plant every 4 or 5 days and you will be able to rotate them in to the enclosure. Baby will graze like the big boys and its mighty healthy for him, super fresh eating.

Little baby is getting spoiled. Yay! : )

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You are coming along... :)

For the record, your dome is the plastic socket. I use them for my low wattage light bulbs but all my CHEs have ceramic sockets.
Walmart sells ceramic socket domes for $10 and they are $12 at Lowes/ Home Depot

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The reason why a ceramic socket is needed with a heat emitter or Mercury vapor bulb is because the heat it radiates is very hot and it is on for several hours. If a plastic socket is used (like the one you have) with the CHE or MVB, it can cause a fire when it melts, and it will melt and short out! You wouldn't want to put your tort and your house in harms way.

jessicasatx

When I went to walmart and lowes no one was helpful and that light was all I could find. I couldn't afford the 40 dollar one at pets mart so that's what I got. I turned it off today and just kept the reg bulb going. The substrate is already all misting up the bottom. I'll prob only turn Che on at night when I'm there until I can afford and find the ceramic one. You guys are the best. I would be totally lost without u!