What should i do?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
The ceramic heat emitters or CHE are great for heat and no light for night time. They last forever too. Don't buy any less then 100 watts. Also get a metal dome light from a Home Depot type store that has a ceramic socket to house the CHE. A couple more days in the small tank won't hurt until you can get another, larger and better enclosure. I like coconut coir for a substrate, it holds humidity really good and won't mold.

I agree with this. I love my CHEs. Do becareful to not rub up against that bulb when your using it. They get super hot and do a good burn on ya.They are money well spent in my opinion... as is a good temp gun.

I am glad we did not scare you away. Each of us have our own style of communicating and often things seem mean and the like, when really they came with good intentions. I am just glad to hear he is back to normal, so you can focus your time and worry on his new enclosures updates. Remember step by step and you will get there.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Several people saying not to put him back in that tank, however, that tank is WAY better than the dog cage and if it is all you have right now, put him back in it asap. Don't even acknowledge edwardp, or what ever his name is. He called me stupid once and when I shot back, I got modded, not him. Better to just stay silent when people act that way. Most on here will not. The big 75 Gallon tote at Wal-Mart works great and it is deep enough to use the lid and place the lights inside of it. I cut out one side of the lid and hang the lights there and cover the hole with a foil turkey dish molded around the edge. Works ok for a temp house until you can get a better one built. You do know your little guy will get really big really fast right? Good luck and keep posting!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Saleama said:
Several people saying not to put him back in that tank, however, that tank is WAY better than the dog cage and if it is all you have right now, put him back in it asap. Don't even acknowledge edwardp, or what ever his name is. He called me stupid once and when I shot back, I got modded, not him. Better to just stay silent when people act that way. Most on here will not. The big 75 Gallon tote at Wal-Mart works great and it is deep enough to use the lid and place the lights inside of it. I cut out one side of the lid and hang the lights there and cover the hole with a foil turkey dish molded around the edge. Works ok for a temp house until you can get a better one built. You do know your little guy will get really big really fast right? Good luck and keep posting!

Walmart carries a 75 gallon tote?! Dude, my local Walmart sucks...the biggest they had was 30 something gallon. Boo hiss.

jessicasatx

Elohi, do u have holes cut into the plexi/pastic for the lights? Also what material are u using for the cover? And how fast is fast for growing. We have had him since we was a month old and I swear I see no growth lol. Does anyone's babies like to climb? Tonto loves to be up high and sometimes likes to be on my soft blanket. What do you guys do for that situation?

I have a feeling when I get homw from my finals tonight I will be on this forum all night. Downloaded the app for it. I'm so glad I found this site.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Finals? May I ask your course of study? (and yes off topic bad Mod)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Elohi, our Kmart out here has the big tree bins, as do the Big Lots. I will check to see who else and come back. Oh, and Walmart, but out here they are out there, where the garden is so maybe you need to step outside. You know how the stores have things in weird places sometimes. (Oh, Elohi, the sphagnum moss you asked about? That is inside at Home Depot, by the indoor plants, out here).
jessicasatx, you know everyone is here to help you girlfriend. Everyone here started out the same and we learned bit by bit. Everyone had a start where they had no clue. Lucky for you, there is the magical TFO place. All good. : )
As for the tank, the tank may be small but for another week, or two, or even a month, it will certainly do. So the baby is more cozy, big deal. The big butt bins go on sale after Christmas and that savings makes it worth waiting for. jessicasatx can then use the extra money for better heating or lighting. So there. : )

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
jessicasatx said:
Elohi, do u have holes cut into the plexi/pastic for the lights? Also what material are u using for the cover? And how fast is fast for growing. We have had him since we was a month old and I swear I see no growth lol. Does anyone's babies like to climb? Tonto loves to be up high and sometimes likes to be on my soft blanket. What do you guys do for that situation?

I have a feeling when I get homw from my finals tonight I will be on this forum all night. Downloaded the app for it. I'm so glad I found this site.

Yes, I used a drimmel tool to cut holes out for the lamps. The top is a sheet of clear plexiglass.

jessicasatx

Jacqui I am in my last week of phaacy technology.
In the 6 months we have had him he hasn't really grown much so I think tank is ok for now. I was just at walmart and no xmas bins just storage and small.... but ill wait til after xmas. Hopefully thia week or next week I can get soil and or lights. I'm a single mom ft school and ft work so not a lot of spending cash. Bf is back in india for 2 weeks so can't help cash wise.

Ok another random question. Are hermit crabs ok with torts? I have 3 and it would be easier once I get a bigger bin to put them all in if possible.

Also what do you all feed ur torts. Right now I am doinf chopped up romaine and cactus with calcuim powder

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Sometimes they are found out in what was the garden department, possibly because of the size and because the trees are out there too ... also Home Depot and Lowe's. Our Big Lots, if you have one where you live, have them. Don't forget to scan craigslist. People do sell them when they decide to go with the bags. The important thing is that your baby be hot and humid. It needs that to thrive. In the meantime, scope out better options. And read through all the info found on TFO and do ask away. Everyone wants your baby to do well, even member edward, I am sure. We were all in your shoes at one point. Your little tortoise will bring you much joy as you evolve as its keeper/host! Yay! : )

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
jessicasatx said:
Also what do you all feed ur torts. Right now I am doinf chopped up romaine and cactus with calcuim powder
Hi Jessica, Take it easy with the calcium powder. Some is good, but more is not better. The best diets offer a lot of variety. Start by adding a new food to what he is eating and build on that. My favorites for babies are endive and escarole. What they don't eat I can throw in my salad. Turnip greens are inexpensive and have a terrific calcium to phosphorus ratio. Collard greens are good too, although my baby didn't really care for them until he was almost 2. Same with kale. If you don't have any grass or weeds available right now you might grow some indoors. In a couple of weeks you could be adding a little fresh grass to his diet so that he gets used to eating it. When you get the heat/humidity issues resolved and your tortoise is more comfortable in his environment he will eat and you will see him grow. Even with the most varied diet that I can offer my tortoise I don't believe that I come close to duplicating what would be available to him in the wild. To get him as much of the other minerals and elements that are not in the natural foods that I can provide for him I feed him Mazuri Grassland Tortoise diet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not house the Hermit Crabs with the tort :D Oh, please do leave the baby in the original tank you had vs the open air forum you tried ;)

You have the jist of what you are going to change once you get the larger tote....and adorable little baby :tort:

jessicasatx

I have moved him back and he does seem a bit more active. Still not really eating or bowel movements that I have seen. Hopefully just adjusting

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
jessicasatx said:
I have moved him back and he does seem a bit more active. Still not really eating or bowel movements that I have seen. Hopefully just adjusting

Perhaps give him some warm and cozy soaks, twice a day, for at least 20 minutes, supervised, under his basking area. Then set him by his food. You can add half a jar of baby food in each one, carrots or squash, to get something in to that little tummy. I learned about that method here from Yvonne and Maggie and they were so right, works like a charm sometimes. I am glad he is back into an enclosed situation. It's a process and the habitat will evolve. Yay! : )

jessicasatx

So as soon as I got home I put a new warm bath in his cage in a pie tin and put light close I also put carrot baby food and his reg food mixed. He ate and was walking around!ImageUploadedByTortForum1386916101.005195.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386916109.856653.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386916121.091236.jpg.

Hopefully tomorrow he will be even more active
Thanks all of u:)

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
We toldja! Great news!

Okay, have to ask, what is the green flooring that kinda looks like carpet? Just worried about baby eating fibers or that it might be made of toxic materials that can affect your little one.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They need to be on substrate like dirt or coco chore or something that will hold humidity.

jessicasatx

Next payck I'm getting that, and all the other stuff for him. Didn't have money this week. Will post pics when all set up

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
If you get dirt from a safe place, as in not treated with anything, no pesticides and no fertilizers, you can pop it in the oven to sterilize it. Free! and easy peasy, fyi ! : )

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Please do not get overwhelmed and give up. Take the advice you see here and move as slowly as you need to as long as you move forward. Gather a list of stuff you need to do and do what you can when you can. A lot of people get flooded with stuff and get frustrated and freeze up. Fix heat and humidity issues first, then food issues if any, and housing can come later. He is not going to grow real big for a few months so you have some breathing room. Not much, but some. So, more pictures and keep up the good work.