What potting soil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
I am planning to put pots of real plants in my enclosure and bury the pots into the cypress substrate. All the potting soil I have found at garden centres has vermiculite. Any ideas what else I can use, please?

Thank you.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Just use topsoil. That should work well. You can put a little bit of gravel in the bottom of the pot to help with drainage, too.

bmt123

5 Year Member
The cheapest ones are generally your best bet. The two dollar bags generally don't have any chemicals.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't know where abouts you're located, but lowes sells organic top soil for 3.50 that is working well in my indoor and outdoor enclosures. It's the best price for the amount I've found yet.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-70976040/100626048#.Uag_59Ce5kA

along with some good ole fashion dirt from your yard (free of pesticides/herbicides/fertilizer) will work great...

With organic soil please be sure to read the ingredients and advertisement such as "fast growing items" as these are simply words for fertilizer and plant food----which can have an adverse health affect on a tortoise who lives in, nibbles on and mucks about in it...:D

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I put mine out in the sun spread out in totes, but that's because I usually mix it with ecoearth coco husk and it needs to dry some. I like to think it kills any bugs that might have gotten into the bag. I know some people bake or freeze their dirt though. Just pop it into one of those disposable turkey trays and bake/freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.