What kind of Tort is this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
turt 1.JPGturt 2.jpgI thought Sulcata but wasnt sure-and nobody in that forum has answered me yet...anyone have any idea of what kind of tortoise this is?? Thanks everyone!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm no expert, but I think it looks kind if like a sulcata. :p At least I can give your thread a bump! :)

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Moozilion said:
I'm no expert, but I think it looks kind if like a sulcata. :p At least I can give your thread a bump! :)

Thank you :) a very nice woman from Craigslist here found him walking in front of her daughter's school this A.M. and I am picking him up after work-thought it might help to know what I am up against! lol

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah that's a Texas alright. Especially knowing your area. The males get very large gular scutes(battering rams) can we see a pic of its underside and of the top. Texas torts will kinda get wider at the hind legs. They are an oblong square. (Best as I could describe)

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
turtle belly.jpgTortoise shell.jpg
tortadise said:
Yeah that's a Texas alright. Especially knowing your area. The males get very large gular scutes(battering rams) can we see a pic of its underside and of the top. Texas torts will kinda get wider at the hind legs. They are an oblong square. (Best as I could describe)

Hi Kelly! Nice to hear from ya again! Here are the other pics she sent and it seems he has what appears to be an old shell injury. Is it legal to keep one here in Texas???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Texas tortoises (Gopherus berlandieri) don't usually have a nuchal scute. Not always the case, but most often they just have a big 'V' over the head instead of a scute. Also, the scales on the front legs are a bit big for a Texas tortoise.

What do you all think about a chaco tortoise? They have the bigger leg scales like this one does.

No, after seeing the coloration on the plastron I'm going for some sort of Graeca.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yvonne G said:
Texas tortoises (Gopherus berlandieri) don't usually have a nuchal scute. Not always the case, but most often they just have a big 'V' over the head instead of a scute. Also, the scales on the front legs are a bit big for a Texas tortoise.

What do you all think about a chaco tortoise? They have the bigger leg scales like this one does.

No, after seeing the coloration on the plastron I'm going for some sort of Graeca.

Yvonne, is there anyway you can advise me on the best care plan for this beautiful boy/girl ?? I will be picking him or her up in a few hours, so a quick trip to PetCo will be in the cards for sure :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A good soak would be first order of business. Then offer a nice pile of Spring Mix or some weeds from your garden. You can treat it similar to your redfooted except without the fruit and animal protein, and he probably won't need a very moist habitat.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yvonne G said:
A good soak would be first order of business. Then offer a nice pile of Spring Mix or some weeds from your garden. You can treat it similar to your redfooted except without the fruit and animal protein, and he probably won't need a very moist habitat.

Great-I have all that at home for a change! As far as substrate goes, what would you reccomend? Since I will keep it indoors for awhile to get it used to us and healthy, should I just use a MVB like I do for my boxie and RF? I am pretty excited about getting a new member of the family today!! Thanks as usual-between you and Kelly you saved the life of my RF Jerry Lee, so I will follow your instructions to the "T"! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My favorite substrate is the small-sized orchid bark. I buy it at Orchard Supply Hardware. Some plant nurseries carry it too.

My second choice is cypress mulch - hard to find in large bags here on the west coast, but according to Mark (Madkins007) any hardwood mulch would be the same thing.

I'm using dirt from my backyard right now for my desert tortoise babies, and I'm not real happy with it. They march around their enclosure all day long and they trample it down to a pretty hard surface.

Your 'found' tortoise is probably used to living outside and is going to be pretty unhappy contained in some sort of enclosure, however, without knowing for sure what specie he is, you don't know if he's a type that hibernates or not.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yvonne G said:
My favorite substrate is the small-sized orchid bark. I buy it at Orchard Supply Hardware. Some plant nurseries carry it too.

My second choice is cypress mulch - hard to find in large bags here on the west coast, but according to Mark (Madkins007) any hardwood mulch would be the same thing.

I'm using dirt from my backyard right now for my desert tortoise babies, and I'm not real happy with it. They march around their enclosure all day long and they trample it down to a pretty hard surface.

Your 'found' tortoise is probably used to living outside and is going to be pretty unhappy contained in some sort of enclosure, however, without knowing for sure what specie he is, you don't know if he's a type that hibernates or not.

sounds good-here we have cyprus mulch by the boatloads-just at Home Depot and very very cheap. I thought about letting him stay outside for a few days, but its getting chilly here at nighttime and I am hesitant to let him in Mildred's temporary enclosure since they are different species. The lady that found him says he was just truckin' down the road like he was on a mission-I am going to check lost and found just in case, but I am hoping I can provide a good home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sent an email just now to a friend of mine up in the SF Bay Area, Jim Buskirk. He's pretty knowledgeable about the different species of tortoise and hopefully he will be able to know right off what kind of tortoise you have.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: What kind of Tort is this???

MildredsMommy said:
Yvonne G said:

sounds good-here we have cyprus mulch by the boatloads-just at Home Depot and very very cheap. I thought about letting him stay outside for a few days, but its getting chilly here at nighttime and I am hesitant to let him in Mildred's temporary enclosure since they are different species. The lady that found him says he was just truckin' down the road like he was on a mission-I am going to check lost and found just in case, but I am hoping I can provide a good home.

You live in Texas its a Texas tortoise . It's probably a wild one and you need to check the laws on keeping it . You have to have a permit.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Yvonne G said:
I sent an email just now to a friend of mine up in the SF Bay Area, Jim Buskirk. He's pretty knowledgeable about the different species of tortoise and hopefully he will be able to know right off what kind of tortoise you have.

Thanks Yvonne-much appreciated-leave it to me to come across an odd duck-lol. With that being said, he/she is sure cute!

so looking at everything on the web, IMHO (which that and a bag of nickles equals not alot-lol) it appears to me this tort resembles a Gopher more than a Texas Tortoise. I remember now about three years ago my brother found one about to be smushed on the road by the oil rig he worked on. Not knowing any better, he brought him to me. I quickly figured out what he was and immediatley contacted Wildlife Rescue, etc. NO ONE would take the tortoise. Even TPAW wouldnt touch him. Because at the time I was very inexperienced, I was too scared to keep him, so I gave him to the owner of a big business here who is a tortoise/animal lover and has 200+ acres. He is thriving there still. Anyway, sorry to ramble...just hoping this is a Gopher!​

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It's not a graeca. That red colouration would not work. Don't know loads about N.American torts ID so will leave that to others.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Looks like a Texas tortoise. You're in San Antonio, those guys are native here. I'm outside San Antonio. From the looks of him, he's used to people. I say that because any wild tortoise that isn't, would not be out of his shell in your hand. He probably got out of a neighbor's yard or something like that.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381495890.852151.jpg

Here is a wild one I came across in the area where I live. I took pics, and let him be on his way.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1381495986.086801.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1381495986.086801.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 58

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
nickpanzee said:
Looks like a Texas tortoise. You're in San Antonio, those guys are native here. I'm outside San Antonio. From the looks of him, he's used to people. I say that because any wild tortoise that isn't, would not be out of his shell in your hand. He probably got out of a neighbor's yard or something like that.

Here is a wild one I came across in the area where I live. I took pics, and let him be on his way.

I am so confused :( The woman who found him advised me she contacted a tortoise rescue in Houston and sent pics and they told her it was NOT a TX Tortoise. I have no issues with releasing, (I only want to do what is right for the tortoise) but need to know what to do for sure. I am so open for suggestions!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yvonne G said:

Before I sent a couple old males to the zoo. They had nuchel scutes. You can see him on my website under north american species.

Also private individuals have to possess a permit. Public can have up to 6 without permit. It does appear to have been kept in captivity so release may not be an option for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I've heard from my friend, and he assures me that yes, it IS a Texas tortoise.

I agree that it looks to have been in captivity most of its life, if not all its life. Releasing is never a good idea. Once a tortoise has been in captivity, it should never be released back into the wild.

You can use the desert tortoise and sulcata tortoise care sheets. The Texas tortoise hibernates, and since this one was found wandering outside, I would assume it is acclimated to living outside. Just protect him from the rain if its cold, let him graze.

Status
Not open for further replies.