What kind of tortoise is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This photo is me with a tortoise I saw while I was on a mission trip in Ethiopia. I was wondering what kind of tortoise it is? Ethiopia is in the horn of Africa. I hope you can tell by the picture..
Thanks!:tort:

Attachments

• 282917_1695055905641_330430730_n.jpg
    282917_1695055905641_330430730_n.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 153

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Leopard tortoise, nice size one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have no idea how awesome that picture is. There is a "race" of giant leopards from Ethiopia and no one anywhere in the world has them, even though we all really want them. And there you are with your hand on one... How old is that pic?

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
You have no idea how awesome that picture is. There is a "race" of giant leopards from Ethiopia and no one anywhere in the world has them, even though we all really want them. And there you are with your hand on one... How old is that pic?

Thats crazy! This was in June.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My reaction is the same as Tom's, you are one lucky person.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because she said the pic was taken in Ethiopia. Do you think someone from Ethiopia went somewhere else in Africa and brought back a different kind of leopard tortoise for people to take pictures with? I suppose it's physically possible...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Because she said the pic was taken in Ethiopia. Do you think someone from Ethiopia went somewhere else in Africa and brought back a different kind of leopard tortoise for people to take pictures with? I suppose it's physically possible...

Darn it Tom, you posted before I could edit my post, lol.

I didn't read the original post....just jumped down to the picture and saw from the persons profile that they were from Texas so I assumed it was taken in the US.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
Tom said:

Darn it Tom, you posted before I could edit my post, lol.

I didn't read the original post....just jumped down to the picture and saw from the persons profile that they were from Texas so I assumed it was taken in the US.

SKIMMER!!!! You are a SKIMMER today! {...wags finger at Neal with stern admonishment...}

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not the first time...oh well. :)

That is a cool picture. I think we need to plan a TFO trip to Africa.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
Not the first time...oh well. :)

That is a cool picture. I think we need to plan a TFO trip to Africa.

I'm planning on a Senegal trip. Wanna come along? Not the right species for you, but maybe we could jaunt up to Ethiopia too....?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If there is TFO trip to Africa I am down! And wasnt there a guy in Spain that imported a lot of these Ethiopian giants? I remember seeing some youtube video about it but I cant find it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Eweezyfosheezy said:
If there is TFO trip to Africa I am down! And wasnt there a guy in Spain that imported a lot of these Ethiopian giants? I remember seeing some youtube video about it but I cant find it.

Yes, most died off, but from what I have heard some did make it and are breeding well.

There was a thread not too long ago where someone posted about a Spain based forum. There was some discussion about it there. Even some pictures of young Ethiopian leopards.

Tom said:
I'm planning on a Senegal trip. Wanna come along? Not the right species for you, but maybe we could jaunt up to Ethiopia too....?

Eh...from Fife's experience I don't think it'd be worth it...(didn't they only see a couple of them?). And the Sulcata's would be too boring for me. :p. If we jaunt down to SA I'd be good to go.

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Texas
We just found this guy roaming outside the hotel we were staying at.. So cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.