What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So I have only posted a couple times on here and am new to the tortoise world. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this might be on sky's shell? I'm worried that it might be some kind of rot of some kind but I don't know for sure. Anyone know what this is? It's the whitish line going around her and up. As well as the ends of the shell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I believe what you are talking about is her new growth.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Jacqui said:
I believe what you are talking about is her new growth.

So I guess looking at all those pictures of tortoise's in bad conditions made me freak out thinking mine was too.. Guess I'm a little paranoid and just wanting to give her the best life possible. Thanks for the look :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise were being kept outside, you would be seeing a more even distribution of this new growth. Normally tortoises show new growth between all the scutes in about the same ratio to each other.

Are you maybe feeding too much? Do you have a UVB light?

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
emysemys said:
If the tortoise were being kept outside, you would be seeing a more even distribution of this new growth. Normally tortoises show new growth between all the scutes in about the same ratio to each other.

Are you maybe feeding too much? Do you have a UVB light?

I feed her once a day a variety of plants and/or veggies just enough to fill her bowl. I have a combination light of heat,UVA, UVB. I do notice that when she's in the basking spot she doesn't fully sit underneath it it's either half of her or just a head or leg. The temp ranges between 90-93 in the basking spot. Is it maybe too hot? I would take her out more but for the last 4months it's been rather chilly out side (48-52) or rainy and windy. any suggestions? Should I move the light around? Feed less?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It likely has not experienced significant growth in quite some time.

I see no reason to worry. I would not cut back on food or change your lighting conditions. If not already available, I might add a humid hide or some equivalent. It could get by without it, but that is simply something I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.